No announcement yet.

Most cliche'd piece of classical music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen that Mcdonalds advert raping beethovens 5th symphony on UK tv recently? Consumerism is to blame makes everything shallow. Next they will be selling Mona Lisa as toliet paper as a drive by big corporations to bring culture to the igorant masses.

PS: I saw a part of the advert where the cymals was played. I dont think they have anyhitng to do with Beethovens 5th symphony do they?
    I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
      Seen that Mcdonalds advert raping beethovens 5th symphony on UK tv recently? Consumerism is to blame makes everything shallow. Next they will be selling Mona Lisa as toliet paper as a drive by big corporations to bring culture to the igorant masses.

PS: I saw a part of the advert where the cymals was played. I dont think they have anyhitng to do with Beethovens 5th symphony do they?

Alex,
      I do take the point here, but personally I am pretty relaxed about the use of classical music for commercial ends, provided of course that the music itself is not messed around with. Any great classical work is infinitely bigger in evey sense than any commercial organization, and I even think that using a work like the 5th in the same breath as promoting fast food or cars actually could well have the unintended consequence of making the product and company promoted look unbelievably trivial, silly and irrelevant in comparison with such a awesome product of the human spirit, and anyone with an ounce of intelligence who has not heard the work before (surely there is no one on the planet with intelligence who hasn't!), would surely go out and buy a recording of it, and ditch any ideas of buying a hamburger or a car.
      I admit I may be wrong on this because I have got a feeling there has been market research or psychological studies that say that, one re-enforces the other.
      In any event, given the dumbing down of society in the west, I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies, and if more people can be brought to classical music, I am all in favour of virtually any method short of downright compulsion!

Amalie

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 08, 2004).]
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

what about some later 19th and earlier 20th century music that is often repeated:

Debussy: Prelude to the afternoon of a faun
        Dvorak: Symphony No.9, Cello Concerto, etc...

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
          what about some later 19th and earlier 20th century music that is often repeated:

Debussy: Prelude to the afternoon of a faun
          Dvorak: Symphony No.9, Cello Concerto, etc...

Luciano Pavarotti, Nessun Dorma!
          The official song for the World Cup in Italy, 1990
          A GREAT song!

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Ummm, I think that Debussy's Clare de Lune would have to be right up there, and Pachebel's Kanon in D. They are both good pieces, though, and it's not their fault they are overplayed. Then there are the poor pieces that aren't played enough, like Mozart's wind quintet, K.452...or Bach's French Suites, or Mendelssohn's octet, which has to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever written.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amalie:
              [B]
              Alex,
              I do take the point here, but personally I am pretty relaxed about the use of classical music for commercial ends, provided of course that the music itself is not messed around with. Any great classical work is infinitely bigger in evey sense than any commercial organization, and I even think that using a work like the 5th in the same breath as promoting fast food or cars actually could well have the unintended consequence of making the product and company promoted look unbelievably trivial, silly and irrelevant in comparison with such a awesome product of the human spirit, and anyone with an ounce of intelligence who has not heard the work before (surely there is no one on the planet with intelligence who hasn't!), would surely go out and buy a recording of it, and ditch any ideas of buying a hamburger or a car.
              I admit I may be wrong on this because I have got a feeling there has been market research or psychological studies that say that, one re-enforces the other.
              In any event, given the dumbing down of society in the west, I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies, and if more people can be brought to classical music, I am all in favour of virtually any method short of downright compulsion!

Amalie

positive thinking Amalie, positive thinking!
              I hope you are right, for the sake of our cultural future, but dumbing down is just what it is.... dumbing down.

GO BRITNEY!

8)

------------------
              v russo
              v russo

Comment

Well all, thank whoever you thank that the holiday season is behind us and the main impetus for trashing great music is past for another year? Of course, it IS nice to be reminded of the existence of culture a least one time a year (not for present company of course, but for the great unwashed). This has been a most illuminating thread, it gave the opportunity to see what bugs other people as much as myself. Thanks to all,

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

To make an appendix:
                  It makes no sound... MOZARTKUGELN!

(also the chocolate is not well)

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
                    Ummm, I think that Debussy's Clare de Lune would have to be right up there, and Pachebel's Kanon in D. They are both good pieces, though, and it's not their fault they are overplayed. Then there are the poor pieces that aren't played enough, like Mozart's wind quintet, K.452...or Bach's French Suites, or Mendelssohn's octet, which has to be one of the most beautiful pieces ever written.

It's a pity, too, that so much focus is on (often) more trivial works while the same composer (I have in mind Pachelbel) wrote many better works than where the focus is. Pachelbel was a great composer of organ repertoire. I still don't see why the (in)famous kanon is so famous.

Comment

Working...
                    X