Anne-Sophie Mutter on tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anne-Sophie Mutter on tour

She plays different programs. Also 2 works of Beethoven. Op.61 and Trio Nr.3, c-moll Op.1
    http://www.anne-sophie-mutter.de/

In my opinion, if you are going to go to a concert, you can do a lot better than Anne-Sophie Mutter, especially for Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      In my opinion, if you are going to go to a concert, you can do a lot better than Anne-Sophie Mutter, especially for Beethoven.
      I like op.61 she played with Karajan. That newer one (Kurt Masur) is not my taste.

Comment

I have always like Mutter's playing, but I bought the recording of the concerto with Karajan and I can't stand it. It is soooo slllloooowwww. It loses all meaning for me.

Chris, can you explain more what it is that you don't like about her playing? I have a violinist friend who abhors her. I have a recording of Mozart Turkish and Mend. concertos and I like it--beautiful tone, sensitive phrasing...

Comment

Her interpretations can be inappropriate, but it's more because of her basic technique. Her tone is not that good and not very consistant, she has a bad vibrato, and some intonation problems. She just seems to struggle sometimes, and you can hear it.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited December 21, 2003).]

Comment

Chris,

Thanks. I will listen more critically in the future.

Who are your favorite violinists (past and present)?

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
              Chris,

Thanks. I will listen more critically in the future.
              Well, that's just my opinion. If you like her, that's great for you.

Who are your favorite violinists (past and present)?
              Oh, there are several. Off the top of my head, I like Josef Suk (especially for Beethoven), and Arthur Grumiaux.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited December 23, 2003).]

Comment

I've commented here many times about her awful and confused renditions of the Beethoven sonatas that were televised here in the UK. For Beethoven, at least, please avoid!

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited December 25, 2003).]
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I haven't knew, her playing is not liked that much. I wouldn't peel off a leg to see her, but if she would play in my invorenment, I wouldn't leave it away. The possibility to see a live performance of B's. Violin Concerto is not given many times. At least for me.

Comment

Well, I agree with most of the above about Mutter and B. Her on Karajan version of 1983 or 84 was my first version of The Concerto, so I really didn't know any better, I liked it a lot. Then I got a few others and realized how dragged out it was, and now I never play it, just save it because the yellow cover end looks good in that spot on the shelf As for other violinists, Suk is very good, and Oistrakh (David) is also. I happen to like Gidon Kremer and Gil Shaham of the modern players, but among the older generation, Heifetz is untouchable, and the lineage of him, Stern and Perlman is very fine. IMHO, their technique is better suited to Romantic era music, but they don't butcher classical era, at least.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited December 24, 2003).]
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

...and Oistrakh (David) is also
                      Yes, he is another I like a lot. I like Stern - not my favorite, but he plays in a couple of recordings I particularly like. My favored recording of the Triple Concerto features him and Leonard Rose (Cello), and...the pianist's name escapes me just now.

There is no doubt Perlman is a gifted violinist, but I like his style less than I used to. But it is still very well suited to Romantic music, I agree.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited December 25, 2003).]

Comment

Yes, I would agree with Gurn and Chris.
                        I have Beethoven's Sonatas for Piano and Violin,by - David Oistrakh - a superb realization of the composers deepest thoughts and aims, as it is couched in the musical language.

The finest recording of Sibelius, by Oistrakh, which unites dazzling virtuosity with the most profound understanding of the mood of the piece. Certainly after listening to that rendition, every other performer of that piece makes it sound just like a succession of notes.
                        I also enjoy Itzhak Perlman.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Whats' to say about Midori? She plays Dvorak's Violin Concerto, together with the London Philharmonia Orchestra near by my home. In a about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            Whats' to say about Midori? She plays Dvorak's Violin Concerto, together with the London Philharmonia Orchestra near by my home. In a about a month.
                            I have heard a few very nice recordings by Midori, although I don't presently own any. I found her to have beautiful tone and very nice technique, I think that when she is in her mature prime she will be one of the best. I hope that she determines to play in classical style and not romantic, but we shall see. Another that I quite like is Chee-Yun, her disk of French Violin Sonatas on Dorian is really first rate. In fact, there are an amazing number of really good, young violinists coming into prominence right now that share the traits of being female and oriental. It makes one wonder at the cultural influences that cause such cycles. In the past 150 years, the majority of premier violinists have been male and Jewish. Now, it is less so. An interssting phenomenon, in any case.
                            Season's Greetings,

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

I have Beethoven's Sonatas for Piano and Violin,by - David Oistrakh...
                              Amalie,
                              I would like to find this recording. Who is the pianist? What label is it? I have quite a few Oistrakh recordings, but none of him playing B.
                              Season's Greetings,

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~