Chopin, Dinu Lipatti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopin, Dinu Lipatti

Does anybody like the Roumanian pianist, Dinu Lipatti? He is one of my favorite pianists. I have his recording of Chopin's third piano sonata, which is absolutely beautiful.

[This message has been edited by Tegan (edited January 05, 2004).]

Yes he was a wonderful artist who died tragically young - I have a cd of his last concert playing Bach, Mozart and Chopin.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

He was only thirty-three, wasn't he? I wonder if he would be more popular now if he had lived longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
        He was only thirty-three, wasn't he? I wonder if he would be more popular now if he had lived longer.

He died of leukemia at the age of 33, very young indeed. I believe he was going to make an American tour but was to ill so they had to cancel it. Hard to say about his (or anyone else even) popularity if he had lived longer. Who knows what he could have done. It's always a shame because when someone dies so young there is always the question of "what if?"

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          He died of leukemia at the age of 33, very young indeed. I believe he was going to make an American tour but was to ill so they had to cancel it. Hard to say about his (or anyone else even) popularity if he had lived longer. Who knows what he could have done. It's always a shame because when someone dies so young there is always the question of "what if?"
          Yes, I knew he had leukemia. I only recently found out, though, that the composer George Enescu (sp) was his godfather. I have a recording of Lipatti playing one of Enescu's sonatas. In his autobiography, Arthur Rubinstien mentions meeting Dinu Lipatti after one of his concerts (Rubinstien was giving the concert, not Lipatti). Arthur says he wouldn't speak to him because he thought he was just the usual autograph clamorer! Personally, I like Lipatti better than Rubinstein, but both were wonderful pianists.

Comment

Working...
          X