X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year!

Then sing, young hearts that are full of cheer,
    With never a thought of sorrow.
    The Old goes out, but the glad young year, comes merrily in tomorrow.

To wish all a happy and healthy new year!

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

May the peace and beauty of the season be with you throughout the New Year.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Wishing you all a very healthy and Happy New Year from Vienna!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
        Wishing you all a very healthy and Happy New Year from Vienna!
        Yes and I shall try to emerge in time tomorrow for the Vienna new year concert!

Happy new year from West Sussex!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Then sing, young hearts that are full of cheer,
          With never a thought of sorrow.
          The Old goes out, but the glad young year, comes merrily in tomorrow.

happy new year to u too!
          btw, the spring sonata i hav only heard once, but still its brilliant, from the very little knowledge of violin i hav!

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Yes, from Central Europe too!

Comment

Happy new year from Syria!

I wish it would be a year of tolerance and interlocution in our crazy world..
              if not let it be so in our forum at least!

Happy new year again..!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited December 31, 2003).]

Comment

Happy New Year to all, especially those who have put up with my occasional rants! Ahmad, I hope your blessing comes true, and this year brings peace to our troubled world.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wow! The fireworks we could see from our flat here in Heligenstadt last night were wonderful. We could see these lovely displays that were being set off from Cobenzl, Kahlenberg, Grinzing, Heligenstadt and from other spots in the Vienna Woods. The fireworks started around 6pm and continued until the grand climax at midnight, which lasted for almost 30 minutes. For at midnight all of Vienna came alive with fireworks and the ringing of the bells in St. Stephens Cathedral. We also had our TV tuned to ORF 2 and listened to the traditional performance of Johann Strauß Jr.'s "Blue Danube Waltz". It was heaven listening to this waltz playing in time with the loads of fireworks going off all over our end of the Vienna Woods.

This morning we will be watching live the Vienna Neujahrskonzert 2004. This year it'll be conducted by Riccardo Muti. Just another lovely Viennese tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

This morning we will be watching live the Vienna Neujahrskonzert 2004. This year it'll be conducted by Riccardo Muti. Just another lovely Viennese tradition.
                    Happy New Year, Andrea!
                    If they would just play a bit of Beethoven in Vienna! Have you also seen yesterday the 9th played in Leipzig? A great performance it was! For me, it was a really moving and emotional hour. It's tradition since 1918 in Leipzig, to play the 9th symphony on new years evening. Nice tradition, also for me, up to now!

Comment

Happy 2004 to everybody!

Michael

Comment

I do not celebrate Christmas myself, but paid time off work is always handy.

Now that everyone is sober and had enough eating and drinking, may I wish everyone and their families a Successful and Prosperous 2004.

Don't forget to recycle all your used Christmas cards, and send unwanted gifts to charity.

Always remember that roast turkey is for life, not just for Christmas!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                          Happy New Year, Andrea!
                          If they would just play a bit of Beethoven in Vienna!
                          Vienna is really a Mozart and Stauss town at heart from my observations, even though there are many sites of Beethovenian interest. Beethoven was, after all, an immigrant.

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                            Vienna is really a Mozart and Stauss town at heart from my observations, even though there are many sites of Beethovenian interest. Beethoven was, after all, an immigrant.

It is perfectly true and it is not commented on enough that there is or was quite a difference in musical culture between 18th century Germany and Austria.
                            Beethoven comming from Bonn was not an heir to the great Operatic Catholic tradition in Austria and North Italy, and I sometimes suspect Beethoven at times, may have felt a foreigner in Vienna, that might explain the incredible elation which always
                            overcame Beethoven when he first arrived in Vienna, as he literally thrashed all the musical opposition.
                            At the end of the day, even the provincial Viennese were simply overwhelmed by Beethoven's genius, but it was not at least in the early stages at least a meeting of minds and cultures.
                            Didn't Beethoven once quote in a humorous aside that, "provided that the Austrians have their beer and sausages, they were quite content" or to that effect.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited January 04, 2004).]
                            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                            X