your favourite sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Gurn it's a shame, but Op.111 is just a number for me, as I don't know it yet. But I'm glad that I still have so many works to explore!
    Pastorali,
    Yes, but this is the enjoyment and satisfaction of our passion, no? The piano sonatas were the first group of B's works that I got a complete set of, and inspired me to collect all of his instrumental works. I still have that first set (Brendel on VOX, which is still available for a reasonable price) and I listen to it often. Of course, like most other things in life, there is no time like the first time.
    Happy New Year,

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I personally think the Op111 is one of the most remarkable compositions Beethoven has ever wrote.

The first time i heard this peice i almost jumped off my chair, to anyone who hasn't heard this sonata yet i can only describe the experience as trascendential, literally. For a split of a second you feel as you were traveling throught space and time.

Comment

to Op.131:

yes I agree, the variations in the second movement are awe inspiring! That, along with the fuge from the Diabelli Variations and the Great Fuge <...of course> are some of Beethovens most "transportational works" so to speak.

8)

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited January 01, 2004).]
        v russo

Comment

It's hard to pick a favorite; I love all of them. All three of the sonatas in opus 31 are lovely. I'm working on the "Tempest", the second sonata in op. 31.

Comment

Working...
          X