Brahms 2&3rd symphonies, Chopin Piano Sonata 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brahms 2&3rd symphonies, Chopin Piano Sonata 2

I just got both these. Wondering what you people think of them.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Fine works all three - enjoy!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't know the chopin piano sonata, but all the four symphonies of brahms are masterpieces. Because "B's. shadow" Brahms had over a long time a problem with that area and he needed 20 years to bring the first one out. As long he had for, as well they are.

Comment

I enjoy the Brahms symphonies very much and as for Chopin, well, he is one of my top favourites so I love the piano concerto #2. Fine picks! Enjoy them!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Brahm's symphony no.3...
          Hanslick called it "The Eroica"
          Clara Schumann disagreed and called it"A Forest Idyl"
          Joseph Joachim said it was the Greek ledgend of "Hero and Leander"
          Max Kalbeck's theory,it was inspired by the statue of Germania at Rudesheim.
          My opinion... I like it.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I havent listened to the Brahms yet, but I just gave several thorough listens to the Chopin, and it is amazing.

The third movement of the sonata is one of the saddest and most haunting pieces I have ever heard. He must have been tormented!
            Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
            And then is heard no more. It is a tale
            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
            Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

I believe he WAS tormented. He was usually weak from illness, longed for his beloved Poland which was in political turmoil, and had a girlfriend who wore trousers, smoked cigars and made unrealistic demands of him in bed.
              Have you heard the Martha Argerich recording of the Bb minor sonata? It will knock your socks off.
              I have never played the Bb minor, but I played the B minor. The B minor is longer and maybe more well-rounded in the classical sense?...
              It is hard for me to listen to the Bb minor because that funeral march has become such a cliche. It is hard to treat it as real music.
              I think you would enjoy the etudes if you haven't heard them.
              Chopin, in my opinion was a great composer. Of course I spent about ten years studying with a Polish teacher who drilled that into my head. Nevertheless, I think Chopin was the great lyric poet of romantic composers. Right now I am learning the Barcarolle and I am constantly amazed by his grasp of harmonies and his ability to convey freedom and spontaneity.

Comment

Brahms' 3rd is one of my favorite symphonies. The orchestral color is unique and wonderful in expressing the feelings of autumn. The whole symphony is like a long and beautiful elegy to the passing of summer.
                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

so I'm guessing the Chopin sonata in question is the bflat-minor?? In that case, I have heard the Funeral March (possibly the aforementioned third movement?) and it is amazing.

I am a big fan of Brahms. ALthough I like all his symphonies, the second and third are not my favorites. I would actually rank them in order of favorite: No. 4 (E minor), No. 1 (C minor), No. 3 (F major) No. 2 (D Major). But they all are great listening experiences. I particularly like the final movement of the D Major, more-so than the 2nd and third movements of the first symphony, and more-so than the 2nd movement of hte third, and possibly more than all of the third symphony. Anyways. I still like Brahms' overtures better than them all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                    brahms r good, but im a pianist so im more into piano music. the chopin is brilliant. hes my favourite composer. the 3rd movmnt which is the funeral march is absolutely gorgeous, tho the name makes it sound depressing! whos playing it? ashkenazy's recording of it is great.

Comment

another chopin fan!!!!

hav u played any of the etudes? i jus finished the winter wind, its sooo hard. hoping to do some more, the b minor and the revolutionary. actually i want to learn them all!

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

Brahms' Second Symphony is my favorite Brahms.

Comment

The second is a perfect german symphony. It is big and melodic with great form.

The third is utterly profound! It reaches beyond human emotion into the cosmos.

...This is one of my favorites!
                          v russo

Comment

Working...
                          X