Merry Christmas!

Click here for a Merry Christmas!
    http://web.icq.com/shockwave/0,,4845,00.swf

May take a minute to download.

And a prosperous new year

Merry Christmas everyone! . .

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited December 24, 2003).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

I, too, wish you all the merriest of Christmases and a great happy New Year that comes!

Comment

Yes a merry christmas to all from the Beethoven Reference Site!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Merry Christmas to all the Beethoven lovers out there and a very Happy New Year!!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

*** CHRISTMAS IN VIENNA ***

Beethoven premieres his Fourth piano concerto dedicated to Archduke Rudolph of Austria, and Choral Fantasia dedicated to the King of Bavaria.

- His last concert appearance in public -

* * * * MUSICAL AKADEMIE * * * *

Thursday December 22nd, 1808, @ 6.30pm.

(Includes critical apparatus)

http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/1999/12/ppvienna.htm

Comment

Merry Christmas!

How about posting any gifts of Beethoven or Classical Music you have given or received this year?

Comment

A very Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year to everyone here from Vienna, Austria!

Comment

I bought a print of Stieler's very nice Beethoven painting. To this picture I was presented by my parents with a very old, solid, golden frame. That looks well!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited December 25, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    Merry Christmas!

How about posting any gifts of Beethoven or Classical Music you have given or received this year?
                    My brother sent me Les Troyens (Sir Colin Davis). I look forwards to listening to that!

Comment

It is almost 21.00 here in London A very happy Christmas to all fellow listeners and a prosperous 2004
                      Love from London

Comment

About Greetings!

Of course Christmans Cards didn't exist as such in Beethoven's time and were invented in England in the 1840's.
                        But there was a tradition at that time of sending greeting cards in the new year, but it was the tradition that Beethoven fairly typically railed against it.
                        Apparently he detested expressions of good wishes by greetings cards, which he would call 'social tomfoolery' and two faced deception. This is rather strange given that he made very effusive dedications in his letters, but he was very touchy for some reason about birthday and new year cards.
                        He received a new year card from his brother signed, J.v Beethoven -Landowner. To which the composer wrote on the back, Ludwig van Beethoven - Brain-owner!
                        But then I suppose it was ok for Ludwig to be two faced, a genius can make his own rules I guess!

~~ ~~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited December 26, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                          About Greetings!

Of course Christmans Cards didn't exist as such in Beethoven's time and were invented in England in the 1840's.
                          But there was a tradition at that time of sending greeting cards in the new year, but it was the tradition that Beethoven fairly typically railed against it.
                          Apparently he detested expressions of good wishes by greetings cards, which he would call 'social tomfoolery' and two faced deception. This is rather strange given that he made very effusive dedications in his letters, but he was very touchy for some reason about birthday and new year cards.
                          He received a new year card from his brother signed, J.v Beethoven -Landowner. To which the composer wrote on the back, Ludwig van Beethoven - Brain-owner!
                          But then I suppose it was ok for Ludwig to be two faced, a genius can make his own rules I guess!

~~ ~~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited December 26, 2003).]
                          I suggest letters are in general a more sincere form of interest than Christmas or birthday cards, which for the most part are sent as an act of duty more than anything else!

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The trouble today Rod, is that the art of letter writing is dying out, I suppose e-mails have hastened its demise.

Comment

Also, Amalie, I don't know if people do this in other countries but in this country lots of people include in their Christmas cards form letters which lets the recipient know what the person has been doing throughout the year. Although this has been turning into bragging letters now. Also it's not as personal as the same letter is sent to everyone on their Christmas card list.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited December 27, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
                              X