A Vs. B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Vs. B

hi, I'm posting here an A vs. B list of who (or what) I prefer from a selection of duels.
    What I wan't to know is how far do you guys (and girls) agree with me, and don't feel ashamed to write those 3 foot high replies.

The one I prefer will always be the B.
    A vs. B
    1)Berliner Philarmoniker vs Wiener Philarmoniker
    2)Mozart vs Haydn.
    3)Verdi vs Wagner.
    4)Italian Opera vs French Opera.
    5)French Opera vs German Opera.
    6)Schumman vs Brahms.
    7)Harnoncourt vs Gardiner.
    8)Modern vs Period.
    9)Sunny day on the beach vs Rainny day with a good ol' Symphonie.
    10)Cats vs Dogs.
    11)John Cage vs me burping.
    12)Weber vs Schubert.
    13)Rossini and Donizetti vs Weber and Schubert.
    14)Mozart's Requiem vs Brahms' Requiem.
    15)Bach vs Haendel.
    16)Composers vs Schubert and Beethoven.

And now to the so much expected explanation:
    1)WPO has more power and that marvelous brass section.
    2)Haydn had all the work to come up with the basis of classical music, Mozart somewhat perfected it, and even though that was a great job for Mozart was a great composer, I still have Haydn in higher esteem. Also I REALLY like his Oratorios.
    3)Even though Verdi was different from the rest of Italian Opera Composers (such as Puccini, Mascagani et al), even though he knew how to creat a greater impact than his fellow contemporaries, Wagner was still better, and knew how to make the instruments paint the picture.
    4)Italian Opera = Soap Opera. French is better in the way that they at least sought better subjects (with the exception of Verdi, who wrote a lot of Shakespeare).
    5)Nonetheless, German also had much more impact.
    6)Schumman had wonderfull music, Brahms had deeper and still more wonderfull music.
    7)Harnoncourt is too meticulous, tooooooooo meticulous. I feel Gardiner a bit more passionate.
    8)I prefer period when it comes to period music. I really prefer to listen to things how they were done. I also like modern a lot (see n.1), and you can't live without Boris Godunov with Karajan and the WPO, a true modern orchestra experience.
    9)hmmmm, rainny days.....
    10)hmmmm, puppies...
    11)EVERYTHING, PLEASE, EVERYTHING BUT NOT JOHN CAGE, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!
    12)What can I do? I rate Schubert, The Excepcional on the right side of Beethoven, The Great.
    13)Much better operas those two produced, Weber's Freichuetz and Euryanthe, alongside with Schubert's Alfonso und Estrella and Fierrabras. So much for Rossini and Donizetti.
    14)Brahms' is more passionate, and (not following the traditional Requiem) it is more touching. And of course, "DENN ES WIRD, DIE POSA-A-A-ANE ERSCHAAAAAAAALEN!, UND DIE TOOOTEN WERDEN A-A-A-AUFERSTEHEN, UMVERWEEEESLICH!" (this must have some mistakes ), this 6th movement... oh my dear God!
    15)Again as no.7, Bach is too cerebral, even though his Passions are great, GREAT!, I've fallen for him who wrote Serses, Rinaldo, La Ressurectzione, and of course, The Messiah.
    16)Need to explain?

So, don't be afraid to write such big posts as these, there were lots bigger on this Forum.

Bye, Artur.
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Cage's 4'22" is the best thing he wrote. I could listen to it a lot. Especially over other certain types of sounds.

I prefer Schumann to Brahms, cats to dogs. But otherwise I think I am in agreement.

Comment

An interesting post. Let me comment on a few things ...

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:

2)Haydn had all the work to come up with the basis of classical music, Mozart somewhat perfected it, and even though that was a great job for Mozart was a great composer, I still have Haydn in higher esteem. Also I REALLY like his Oratorios..
      Haydn, perhaps, was the greater musical craftsman. So far as I now Mozart invented no new musical forms, whereas Haydn constructed almost single-handedly the classical symphony and string quartet. But I would still choose Mozart as the greater, without a doubt. While Haydn was a master of form, there is a far greater emotional depth to Mozart's music, and a spark of creative magic that is absolutely unique. Even Haydn admitted this, and acknowledged Mozart as his superior.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited December 27, 2003).]
      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
      X