Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B's Violin concerto 2nd movement..

Charming..!!
    I was listning to this movement last day ..and I was surprisedl with the anxious change in music that arose in its final ...
    Do you have any idea about that contrast that arises some times in Beethoven's music ..The 3rd movement of the Pastoral symphony is another example,as it made obvious contrast with the first and second movements..

Originally posted by Ahmad:
    Charming..!!
    I was listning to this movement last day ..and I was surprisedl with the anxious change in music that arose in its final ...
    Do you have any idea about that contrast that arises some times in Beethoven's music ..The 3rd movement of the Pastoral symphony is another example,as it made obvious contrast with the first and second movements..
    I wrote a couple of weeks ago on another thread that I think extreme contrasts of emotion, tempo and volume were one of Beethoven's very characteristic means of expression. They are found earlier in the Classical period but Beethoven amplifies the extremes of emotion and I think this is one of his traits which inspired the Romantics. It is taken to such an extreme in some instances that I think it is a Romantic trait. I know this will bring brickbats falling down around my shoulders, though I really don't seek to open up a classical/romantic debate again; and I am not putting forth here that he is a Romantic composer, just that this is a classical device taken so far that it presages or introduces a Romantic tendency.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Chaszz,

You may not WANT to open the classical/romantic debate again, but them's fightin words!
      Just kidding. When you say that the contast, conflict, extremes are what make Beethoven a romantic composer, I must speak up, however. I believe the opposite. It is conflict which is the driving force behind sonata allegro form. To simplify, The A theme and B theme are presented, fight it out in the development and must learn to live together by the time we hear the recap and possibly coda. Beethoven staged the contest again and again with increasing complexity. His goal, however, was to achieve balance and reconciliation by the end.
      The romantics may have started with a similiar aim, but by the end of the romantic era, I think balance was not as important as exploring a single idea to the farthest extreme.
      What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
        Chaszz,

You may not WANT to open the classical/romantic debate again, but them's fightin words!
        Just kidding. When you say that the contast, conflict, extremes are what make Beethoven a romantic composer, I must speak up, however. I believe the opposite. It is conflict which is the driving force behind sonata allegro form. To simplify, The A theme and B theme are presented, fight it out in the development and must learn to live together by the time we hear the recap and possibly coda. Beethoven staged the contest again and again with increasing complexity. His goal, however, was to achieve balance and reconciliation by the end.
        The romantics may have started with a similiar aim, but by the end of the romantic era, I think balance was not as important as exploring a single idea to the farthest extreme.
        What do you think?
        Chaszz is simply saying that this trait inspired the future Romantic composers, not that Beethoven was one of them. I tend to agree with that. But then, just about anything Beethoven did inspired many of the upcoming composers.

Comment

Working...
        X