Happy Birthday Ludwig - 233 today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Ludwig - 233 today!

Amazing that yet another year has gone - doesn't seem like yesterday that I blew out 232 candles!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Amazing that yet another year has gone - doesn't seem like yesterday that I blew out 232 candles!

And count it a blessing that you still have the puff to do it Peter!

Amalie .

Comment

There is a surviving letter from Albrechtsberger to Beethoven wishing him well on his birthday. He writes:

Vienna; December the 15th, 1796

My Dear Beethoven!

I wish you all the best on you Name day, tomorrow. God give you health and happiness, and grant you good luck. Should you have an extra hour, dear Beethoven, then your old teacher invites it to spend it with him. It would give me great pleasure if you could bring the Trio with you. Then we could try it out at once, and I will make the scores immediately, now that I have more time.
      Haydn was here yesterday; he is preoccupied with the idea for a grand oratorio that he will call Die Schopfung, and hopes to have it finished soon.
      He improvised some of it for me, and I believe that it will be very good.
      So don't forget to visit me tomorrow, and in the meantime accept hearty greetings.

From Your
      Johann Georg Albrechtsberger.

( Sorry again for the change of name again, but couldn't post with my chosen name-Amalie)

[This message has been edited by Isadora (edited December 16, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Peter
        Is it really fixed today? Have always read it's not very sure?
        I'm with you and wish you a loooong puff too!!!!

Comment

The Universe lights up on Beethoven's birthday, Dec 1999.
          http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/fe...s/30dec99.html

Comment

Happy Birthday, Ludwig! Alles Gute!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
              Peter
              Is it really fixed today? Have always read it's not very sure?
              I'm with you and wish you a loooong puff too!!!!
              The exact date of Beethoven's birth is unknown, but as he was baptised on the 17th Dec 1770 and the custom was for this to take place within 24 hours of birth, it is likely that he was born on 16th December 1770. This is the date generally accepted.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Isadora:
                There is a surviving letter from Albrechtsberger to Beethoven wishing him well on his birthday. He writes:

Vienna; December the 15th, 1796

My Dear Beethoven!

I wish you all the best on you Name day, tomorrow. God give you health and happiness, and grant you good luck. Should you have an extra hour, dear Beethoven, then your old teacher invites it to spend it with him. It would give me great pleasure if you could bring the Trio with you. Then we could try it out at once, and I will make the scores immediately, now that I have more time.
                Haydn was here yesterday; he is preoccupied with the idea for a grand oratorio that he will call Die Schopfung, and hopes to have it finished soon.
                He improvised some of it for me, and I believe that it will be very good.
                So don't forget to visit me tomorrow, and in the meantime accept hearty greetings.

From Your
                Johann Georg Albrechtsberger.

( Sorry again for the change of name again, but couldn't post with my chosen name-Amalie)

[This message has been edited by Isadora (edited December 16, 2003).]
                Name-days were celebrated rather than birthdays and Beethoven's was actually August 25 - the feastday of St. Louis.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X