Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlioz Bicentenary

If you are interested in this French composer of the Symphonie Fantastique
    go to www.cbc.ca/berlioz/ a day long special hosted by Ben Heppner is on offer.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Well I have a great admiration for Berlioz - certainly a highly original composer who was one of the first in France to truly appreciate Beethoven. Happy 200th Hector!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The entire program on NPR/Performance Today on classical radio yesterday was about Berlioz. For more information
      http://www.hberlioz.com/BerliozSpecial/euphoniae.htm

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I recently saw Berlioz' opera "The Trojans" in a taped production on TV. I liked a lot of it. I also had the expereince of seeing his grave in the Montmarte Cemetery in Paris several years ago. The graves there are all mausoleums of various kinds, some very imaginative and with statuary. Berlioz' was one of the more noticable ones, due to the large amount of fresh flowers that were left there. He reaps honors today that largely escaped him during his life.
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I first heard Symphonie Fantastique while hitching around Europe in 1971. I think Seiji Osawa and the San Francisco Symphony. My American friends insisted on calling it "Fantastic Symphony" but it is thanks to them that I first connected with it!!

I heard it again in totality only recently and I must admit that it is a marvellous, marvellous piece of music thrilling to the core. Also heard "Les Troyens" on live Radio this summer from the Proms. Sir Colin Davis. Stopped me in my tracks. Read Norman Lebrechet's article in the Standard this week.

Love from London
          Love from London

Comment

I think some of his music I've heard was truly awful!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

They played Symphonie Fantastique on my classical station on Friday in honour of Berlioz and I must admit it is a marvellous piece of music. Opened my eyes to his talent
              and writing capabilities.

------------------

Comment

In this case I have to visit my CD store to get the "Fantastique". You can't be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                  In this case I have to visit my CD store to get the "Fantastique". You can't be wrong.
                  It is an amazing piece - just consider the date 1831 and the March to the Scaffold dates from 1826! It is totally original and revolutionary.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    It is an amazing piece - just consider the date 1831 and the March to the Scaffold dates from 1826! It is totally original and revolutionary.

I have read, that he was almost dazed about Beethoven's symphony work, so he thought there is nothing else to add to. But I think he came out of this mess...
                    B's shadow is sometimes pretty long.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                      When you give it a listen let us know what you think of it Pastorali!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        I think some of his music I've heard was truly awful!

And what I've heard is awfully good.

Comment

Working...
                        X