Authentic Page mp3s - Symphony no.1 Op.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    I accept there is a learning process, but for some Beethoven pieces I have learned after hearing only one or two versions. For example with the quartet op132 I have only ever heard 2 versions, and the only one I still play was the first I had ever heard because it seemed right enough stylistically. For other works I still await a good version after 17 years, but I'll know it when I hear it!

After 17 years of experiences you can say that, I too will then! My situation is otherwise, I do listen just since some years, so I do listen to as many I can. Normaly having then favorites soon. To mention the symphonies I must confess, that I like these with a "firy nature" as Beethoven was and as I think it is in his will. I am wondering, what Beethoven would say about that. Would he be glad about interpretations of his works today?

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      After 17 years of experiences you can say that, I too will then! My situation is otherwise, I do listen just since some years, so I do listen to as many I can. Normaly having then favorites soon. To mention the symphonies I must confess, that I like these with a "firy nature" as Beethoven was and as I think it is in his will. I am wondering, what Beethoven would say about that. Would he be glad about interpretations of his works today?

The symphonies should be firey, I doubt he would have been impressed with some of the lame efforts I've heard.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The symphonies should be firey, I doubt he would have been impressed with some of the lame efforts I've heard.

Compared to what was on offer in his lifetime I think he'd find little to complain about today - at least his work is now constantly performed all over the world by a whole host of different interpreters, the Violin concerto for example had hardly any performances in the early 19th century. Then there is the standard of playing - far in excess of what was on offer in the typical provincial orchestra of Beethoven's day.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Compared to what was on offer in his lifetime I think he'd find little to complain about today - at least his work is now constantly performed all over the world by a whole host of different interpreters, the Violin concerto for example had hardly any performances in the early 19th century. Then there is the standard of playing - far in excess of what was on offer in the typical provincial orchestra of Beethoven's day.

Lame is lame, whether you are in tune or out of tune!

------------------

Comment

Lame is lame, whether you are in tune or out of tune!

And bad is bad regardless of tempo!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

And bad is bad regardless of tempo!

The interpretation is more important than technical perfection, Beethoven himself made this observation, though of course ideally you should aspire for both.

------------------

Comment

The interpretation is more important than technical perfection, Beethoven himself made this observation, though of course ideally you should aspire for both.

Yes and interpretation is about more than just tempo - I doubt Beethoven would have played his works at exactly the same speed each time, especially over a period of many years.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes and interpretation is about more than just tempo.

I was not aware that I made any statement to that effect!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X