• Show
Clear All

Authentic Page mp3s - Symphony no.1 Op.21

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Nice recording :^)

I have Schubert's symphonies with these people, cost me about $2.50 per cd .
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
      Nice recording :^)

I have Schubert's symphonies with these people, cost me about $2.50 per cd .
      You may still be able to find the complete Beethoven Symphonies, the Missa Solemnis and most of the Overtures in a boxed set on Nimus by the Hanover Band. Very cheap and my main recommendation for these works.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Ahh, so this is the famous Hanover Band then, eh? First I have heard by them. And very nice it is, too! I have developed a strong liking for the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music group, but these folks are giving them a good competition. In fact I am listening to Hogwood's 9th right now, and I daresay that a discussion we had months ago concerning faster tempos being needed is proven correct in this version, as it is very uptempo comparatively. Perhaps the Hanovers are likewise? Quite different in any case, and most enjoyable. I wouldn't totally abandon other interpretations, but I do enjoy the variety.
        Thanks, Rod.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Ahh, so this is the famous Hanover Band then, eh? First I have heard by them. And very nice it is, too! I have developed a strong liking for the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music group, but these folks are giving them a good competition. In fact I am listening to Hogwood's 9th right now, and I daresay that a discussion we had months ago concerning faster tempos being needed is proven correct in this version, as it is very uptempo comparatively. Perhaps the Hanovers are likewise? Quite different in any case, and most enjoyable. I wouldn't totally abandon other interpretations, but I do enjoy the variety.
          Thanks, Rod.

I once possessed the Hogwood 9th myself years ago. I recall the adagio was the switfest by the clock I have heard, but it did not sound particularly rushed. The 'Hanovers' are not always playing at the ideal tempo, but often enough they approach the ideal, and the sound is always very engaging in this set.

In this recording of the 1st the Brass section are a little too distant in the mix, but this is remedied in the later works. Of course you get to hear all the repeats too, though this has become more normal in recent years.

------------------

Comment

The first performance of this "Grande Simphonie" (as it was entitled in the first edition of 1801) took place under Beethoven's direction, together with the Septet, Op. 20 and one of his piano concertos (either the No. 1 in C major Op. 15 or the No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19), in the Imperial Royal National Court Theatre (the Burgtheater) in Vienna. A reviewer declared in the Allegmeine Musikalische Zeitung of 1800 that it was "probably the most interesting academy (i.e. concert) for a long time". He found the symphony to be a work in which "there was a great deal of art, novelty and wealth of ideas; the only reservation being that far too much was made of the wind instruments, so that it was more like a work for band than for full orchestra". The great majority of contemporary opinions about the work lay between admiring and the enthusiastic: by 1805 the Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung was calling it a "magnificent artistic creation", while in 1802 the periodical Historisches Taschenbuch referred to it as a "masterpiece which does equal honour to the composer's powers of invention and to his musical expertise. As beautiful and excellent in design as in execution, it is distinguished by such clarity and orderliness, such a flow of the most agreeable melodies, such rich yet never cloying orchestration, that this symphony can rightly take its place at the side even of those by Mozart and Haydn". It is true that a few voices already raised the charge of "bizarrerie" which, for all the acknowledgement of the composer's genius, became a stock responce to the later works. Carl Maria von Weber, who was capable of biting criticism of Beethoven on occasion, nevertheless described the First Symphony as "magnificent, lucid and fiery" (1816).
            -Stefan Kunze.

Thank you again, Rod for this piece. I have the recording of both this symphony and the Sym.#2 as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by von Karajan. I always enjoy hearing performances from other orchestras with different conductors. It's interesting to hear the different interpretations of other conductors from the ones that I have on my CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
              The first performance of this "Grande Simphonie" (as it was entitled in the first edition of 1801) took place under Beethoven's direction, together with the Septet, Op. 20 and one of his piano concertos (either the No. 1 in C major Op. 15 or the No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 19), in the Imperial Royal National Court Theatre (the Burgtheater) in Vienna. A reviewer declared in the Allegmeine Musikalische Zeitung of 1800 that it was "probably the most interesting academy (i.e. concert) for a long time". He found the symphony to be a work in which "there was a great deal of art, novelty and wealth of ideas; the only reservation being that far too much was made of the wind instruments, so that it was more like a work for band than for full orchestra". The great majority of contemporary opinions about the work lay between admiring and the enthusiastic: by 1805 the Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung was calling it a "magnificent artistic creation", while in 1802 the periodical Historisches Taschenbuch referred to it as a "masterpiece which does equal honour to the composer's powers of invention and to his musical expertise. As beautiful and excellent in design as in execution, it is distinguished by such clarity and orderliness, such a flow of the most agreeable melodies, such rich yet never cloying orchestration, that this symphony can rightly take its place at the side even of those by Mozart and Haydn". It is true that a few voices already raised the charge of "bizarrerie" which, for all the acknowledgement of the composer's genius, became a stock responce to the later works. Carl Maria von Weber, who was capable of biting criticism of Beethoven on occasion, nevertheless described the First Symphony as "magnificent, lucid and fiery" (1816).
              -Stefan Kunze.

Thank you again, Rod for this piece. I have the recording of both this symphony and the Sym.#2 as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by von Karajan. I always enjoy hearing performances from other orchestras with different conductors. It's interesting to hear the different interpretations of other conductors from the ones that I have on my CDs.
              It is interesting that by 1802 Beethoven's 1st effort was being judged as the equal of Haydn and Mozart's. Of course I would agree but how many music comentators today would say the same?

My first 'first' was also by Karajan and the BPO, one of my first Beethoven recordings I bought, not a bad effort but it was missing repeats, something I discovered almost immediately is a serious 'no no!'.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited December 07, 2003).]

Comment

Yes!! Thanks a lot too! Did download for the first time and it's good fun. A question I have, is about the lenght of the piece. The one and only I got (Zinman Zurich) is much faster and is only about 8 minutes during. What's about Maelzel's metronom? I thought the tempo of each work is fixed since then. Why these differences? regards

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                  Yes!! Thanks a lot too! Did download for the first time and it's good fun. A question I have, is about the lenght of the piece. The one and only I got (Zinman Zurich) is much faster and is only about 8 minutes during. What's about Maelzel's metronom? I thought the tempo of each work is fixed since then. Why these differences? regards
                  Beethoven's metronome indications are rarely observed, that is why there are so many differences. I accept the mp3, which lasts just over 10 mins I think, could have a touch more pace. I have a recording by John Gardiner that is quicker too.

------------------

Comment

Ah, ok. Anyway, I am with Andrea, "I always enjoy hearing performances from other orchestras with different conductors." It's exciting!

Comment

Ah, ok. Anyway, I am with Andrea, "I always enjoy hearing performances from other orchestras with different conductors." It's exciting!
                      It is something about the sound achieved by Nimbus with the Hanover Band that is particularly invigorating. A very colourful and ambient sound that, combined with the colour of the period instruments, gives a rather Baroque feeling to the music. In comparison Gardiner's set (also 'authentic'), although much newer with DG's '4D' technology, the recording sounds rather flat and dry and too close miked. Also some of G's tempi and indeed his phrasing on occasion are well off the mark too, which surprised me. Whatever the reason, my Gardiner set is gathering dust. I accept to date there is no absolutely first rate complete edition of the Symphonies, but the CD with 1 & 2 is the weakest of the Hanover band set.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited December 08, 2003).]

Comment

I agree too. I like to hear different versions. Of course I do have my favourites but it's interesting to hear other conductor's interpretations of the music.

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          I agree too. I like to hear different versions. Of course I do have my favourites but it's interesting to hear other conductor's interpretations of the music.

I think I'm the opposite, one version is good enough for me. If it sounds the way I like it I won't be looking elsewhere.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                            I think I'm the opposite, one version is good enough for me. If it sounds the way I like it I won't be looking elsewhere.

Rod, but once you did too I guess, otherwise you couldn't know, that exactly that one sounds the way you like.

Comment

Rod, but once you did too I guess, otherwise you couldn't know, that exactly that one sounds the way you like.
                              I accept there is a learning process, but for some Beethoven pieces I have learned after hearing only one or two versions. For example with the quartet op132 I have only ever heard 2 versions, and the only one I still play was the first I had ever heard because it seemed right enough stylistically. For other works I still await a good version after 17 years, but I'll know it when I hear it!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X