Interesting Article on the Violin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Article on the Violin

Not playing the violin, but the instruments themselves. Very interesting.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...solar_secret_3Click</a>

Originally posted by Chris:
    Not playing the violin, but the instruments themselves. Very interesting.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...solar_secret_3Click</a>

Chris,
    Very interesting indeed. I first started following this story in the early 1980's in Discover MAgazine when they ran a short series of articles on why Strads sounded so good, and the speculation ran the gamut from the varnishes mentioned even to testing the water of the river (Arno, I think) where the trees were floated down from the mountains to see if the long submergence mineralized the wood in a peculiar way. So it is good to see yet a further chapter. Hope they figure it out in my lifetime, as I sorta want to see how it turns out, now ;-)

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I just want them to start turning out Strat-level quality violins for $1000

Comment

A very interesting story. Maybe they could test the theory out by getting wood from the nowadays northernmost and coldest forests of larch, spruce and pine, maybe in Scandanavia or Siberia or Canada, and giving it to a recognized fine violin maker. And doing it quickly, before global warming makes it impossible.
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The making of violins in Canada ,with Canadian woods goes way way back in time,the fiddle is featured in early folk music in Quebec and the Maritimes.

The crafting of high quality replica Baroque harpsichords,lutes and viols is a growing industry here.

Instruments made of Canadian woods cope well with dramatic climate changes as well.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
          X