Sites on Schubert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sites on Schubert

Does anyone know one good (I mean goooood, like this one on Beethoven) site on Schubert?

Thnx
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

This is simply the best site on classical music that exists in the English language.
    I don't know what magic Peter used to create this but I can assure you there is nothing to compare to it.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Well, not one with interactive discussion, most unfortunate but that is what makes this site unique. However, when I need info on Schubert, I go here;
      http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/franzschubert/intro/
      and they have a pretty good supply. Is there in fact another web site on any other composer which has this sort of Forum? Not a newsgroup, but a regular page like this one.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Check out this site for a list of Schubert links:
        http://www.vanderbilt.edu/~cyrus/schub.htm

I have to agree with spaceray that Peter's site is one of the best you'll find anywhere. Danke Peter and Chris for this site and keep up the good work.

Comment

I have recently found this site about Schubert:
          http://www.cva.ahk.nl/composersmusic...hubert1_e.html

I think it's a good one, but not as "goooood" as you like to have. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited November 30, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            Check out this site for a list of Schubert links:
            http://www.vanderbilt.edu/~cyrus/schub.htm

I have to agree with spaceray that Peter's site is one of the best you'll find anywhere. Danke Peter and Chris for this site and keep up the good work.
            And don't forget danke to Rod Corkin as well who has provided the music .I know that folks who don't have high speed connetions would have to spend twenty minutes downloading a 4min mp3 but I can tell you that it is well worth the wait.(I write my mail while it's donloading)I have a fabulous collection of Beethoven pieces that I play again and again.
            Thanks Rod

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              This is simply the best site on classical music that exists in the English language.
              I don't know what magic Peter used to create this but I can assure you there is nothing to compare to it.
              Thank you all for your kind comments - the 'magic' was a love for Beethoven's music which I discovered as a child and has always stayed with me. From this, like all of you here, I then had a deep fascination in the man himself and read as many books as I could get hold of. In creating this site I wanted to share that enthusiasm, to dispel the myths and to present a factual resource in an easily accessible form. Thank you all for your continued participation and interesting contributions.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Agreed.

Thank you all for your info. I'm looking for info on Schubert's operas and operettas, I've seen on O.E. Deutsch' book that he has lots of it, but I can't find anything about them (I haven't checked these sites yet ).

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited November 30, 2003).]

Comment

I don't believe I knew that Schubert had written any opera's but I was aware of his
                  Singspiele.This music does not seem to have stood the test of time.Have you heard these works?
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I don't believe I knew that Schubert had written any opera's but I was aware of his
                    Singspiele.This music does not seem to have stood the test of time.Have you heard these works?
                    Schubert's finest opera 'Fierabras' is a gem and doesn't deserve its neglect - truly outstanding arias such as no.6b and no.13.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Well, Is there in fact another web site on any other composer which has this sort of Forum? Not a newsgroup, but a regular page like this one.

For those who are interested in Chopin's music here is a very good site : www.chopinfiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                        For those who are interested in Chopin's music here is a very good site : www.chopinfiles.com
                        Thanks, I checked that out, quite interesting. Even had a couple of threads on B going on!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          Schubert's finest opera 'Fierabras' is a gem and doesn't deserve its neglect - truly outstanding arias such as no.6b and no.13.

Another great one (also a gem) is Alfonso und Estrella. The only recording (I guess) of it has the amazing Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as one of the main roles.
                          It is beautiful from begining to end, and it has amazing well written choruses (one thing it has plenty). The parts are well written as well and everything has those Schubert melodies.
                          What people complained about this opera is that it needs too many singers (great choruses) and that it's plot stinks ( ), being too dificult to make into scenes.
                          I disagree on both.
                          Today you'll need many singers to do all full-scale operas (such as Boris Godunov and Les Troyans), and many operas which are still being performed have worse plots than this one and are far more difficult to stage (here I remember of Haydn's Armida - where a forest disappears, and of Die Fliegende Holländer - where you must have two ships ON SCENE (and one of them is in the middle of a storm while the other one is on a totaly calm sea)).

I think people (producers, directors) usually disqualifies Schubert's operas without knowing it's features.

Comment

Continuing the same line of discussion...

Which site do you consider a good place to buy sheet music (scores)? I think of the Sheetmusic.com as too expensive ($728.95 for Alfonso und Estrella) and of Amazon.com as a Dover retailer (and that´s about it).

Tnx again

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                              Does anyone know one good (I mean goooood, like this one on Beethoven) site on Schubert?

Thnx
                              If you are interested in Schubert memoribilia, try this site. A friend of mine from England runs it.
                              www.halftimescores.co.uk/schubert/index.html

I wish someone had something like this on Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                              X