Need information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need information

Someone gave me a book of piano pieces by various composers. In the book, I found a beautiful gem by Beethoven entitled, "Farewell to the Piano"......'

Will someone please give me some background on this lovely piece?

Thanks, Pat
    Pat McDonald

Originally posted by Pat McDonald:
    Someone gave me a book of piano pieces by various composers. In the book, I found a beautiful gem by Beethoven entitled, "Farewell to the Piano"......'

Thanks, Pat

I've run across two or three versions of this piece in my own acquisitions, but I do not know if it is a genuine Beethoven work. It certainly is a nice piece!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat McDonald:

Thanks, Pat

Dear Pat,
      Here is some information I have found on 'Adieux to the Piano'.
      This is actually not by Beethoven at all. In the mid 19th century it was common for unscrupulous publishers to tack Beethoven's name onto pieces to increase sales.
      Adieux (or Farewell) to the piano is one of these pieces, and like the 'Gertrude's Dream Waltz' (also fraudulent), the Adieux became very popular as a parlour piece.
      I have recently learned that the piece is featured in a Japanese gore film, 'Battle Royale 11'. So the piece still has some life in it, Beethoven or not.

[This message has been edited by Frohlich (edited November 25, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Frohlich:

Dear Pat,
        Here is some information I have found on 'Adieux to the Piano'.
        This is actually not by Beethoven at all. In the mid 19th century it was common for unscrupulous publishers to tack Beethoven's name onto pieces to increase sales.
        Adieux (or Farewell) to the piano is one of these pieces, and like the 'Gertrude's Dream Waltz' (also fraudulent), the Adieux became very popular as a parlour piece.
        I have recently learned that the piece is featured in a Japanese gore film, 'Battle Royale 11'. So the piece still has some life in it, Beethoven or not.

[This message has been edited by Frohlich (edited November 25, 2003).]
        Thanks, Amalie, for the information. I was wondering about this piece myself. Didn't know if it was authentic Beethoven oro not. I wonder how many other pieces were treated this way to finally be found out to be fradulant!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited November 25, 2003).]
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

To those nice people who have responded to my post about the "Farewell to the Piano", may I say a heartfelt "thanks"..........

It really is a lovely piece, regardless of who wrote it.

Thanks so much!

Pat McDonald
          Pat McDonald

Comment

Working...
          X