How can a symphony get lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can a symphony get lost?

The only one information I have about Op.91 "Schlachtensinfonie" is, that it get lost. Very less. Was that symphonie as how we know it of B. in case of mvmnts, lenght.

thanks for update

I'm afraid I don't quite get the question, Pastorali. Are you talking about Beethoven's Opus 91? If so, isn't that his Wellington Victory? What symphony are you referring to? Thanks.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

"Wellingtons Sieg" (Wellington's Victory), or "Die Schlacht bei Vittoria" (The Battle of Vitoria), Op.91 was often known as the "Battle Symphony" or the "Victory Symphony".

This Battle Symphony was a huge success and performed often. It would drive the audiences to wild applause. The Wiener Zeitung published a review of one of the concerts where this "Battle Symphony" was performed:
      "The Applause was general and mounted to the highest ecstasy. Many parts had to be repeated. The Spectators unanimously voiced their desire to hear these compositions frequently and to be able to praise and admire the products of the spiritual invention of this our native artist."

This has always been one of my favorite works by Beethoven and I never tire of it. Surprised I haven't worn out my copy of it.

Comment

Hi
        Yes indeed, I'm talking about Op.91. Sorry for messing you! I brought my self on a bit better stand of knowing... I really thought the music is lost and not known today.
        If it is a symphony, why are we talking about nine, and not about ten symphonies?

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited November 26, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
          Hi
          Yes indeed, I'm talking about Op.91. Sorry for messing you! I brought my self on a bit better stand of knowing... I really thought the music is lost and not known today.
          If it was a symphony, why are we talking about nine, and not about ten symphonies?
          Because it isn't a true symphony! The work was a collaboration with the inventor Maezel and consists of popular national tunes and airs, it is in the same vein as Tchaikovsky's 1812 and intended as a celebration piece. Beethoven wrote other works for national occasions such as 'Germania'.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X