Bach & Vivaldi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bach & Vivaldi

Im going through a baroque phase right now in my listening...

Antonio vivaldi must have been some kind of genius, because he has a sort of intensity that didnt come back until Beethoven. I have all the seasons violin concertos, along with the rest of the non-seasons in a double disk. I was wondering what else they have out there, because I definitly want to hear more. You can really tell Bach was influenced by him, because there is a part in Toccata and Fugue that sounds nearly the same as a part in the 13th violin concerto. I know Bach studied his works, but im not sure how intentional this was or not....

Of bach I have his musical offering, art of the fugue, and a best of CD. Bach has such a wealth of music its hard for me to decide what to purchase next. Any suggestions?
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Try listening to an ensemble called Red Priest playing Vivaldi,really remarkable sound from this group .
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

Bach has such a wealth of music its hard for me to decide what to purchase next. Any suggestions?
      ...Theodora!
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 15, 2003).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I just saw something interesting: John Williams(not the composer, but the virtuoso classical guitarist) playing a bunch of vivaldi on classical guitar. Have any of you heard this?
        Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
        That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
        And then is heard no more. It is a tale
        Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
        Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Well, Vivaldi wrote well over 400 violin concertos. And Bach transcribed at least 6 of them as keyboard concertos, so that is a bit of a start for you! ;-) V also wrote a few hundred other concertos for various instruments. He was very prolific bacause he wrote for a living, he was a teacher in a girl's orphanage in Venice and his job was to have them something new to play every day, and twice on Sundays. There are also a great many sonatas that are quite interesting.
          A few thoughts of my own about Vivaldi. I think that he was among the very first to take the style of operatic music, which is to say accompaniment of a voice, and turn it into purely instrumental music where the voice became an instrument instead. This resulted in "homophony" instead of the prevailing polyphony of the Baroque era. This homophony became widely popular, and led directly to what became called the "Galant" style, and this is what first Haydn and then Mozart inherited 50 years later and developed into the Classical Style. I say this because if you listen to one of Vivaldi's violin concertos, and then to one of Bach's, you will immediately hear a difference, not only in the structure of the music itself but also in the overall impression it creates. And Vivaldi was also very conscious of the changes he made in music too. I highly recommend that you try to get his Opus 3, which are 12 concertos which comprise 3 groups of 4 concertos. He called this opus L'Estro Armonico, which means approximately "The History of Harmony", and he demonstrates the evolution of the violin concerto in his own time by going from concerto grosso to double concerto to solo concerto. They are really quite a marvelous set, and interesting in a historical way too. Well, I musn't go on unless we start a Vivaldi page, so I hope this gives you a start. And as Rod points out, if you really like the Baroque and want to have a feeling for how it went, you really can't miss listening to Handel. Not much there for a violin concerto guy (like me, and possibly you), but some really fine music anyway.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Of bach I have his musical offering, art of the fugue, and a best of CD. Bach has such a wealth of music its hard for me to decide what to purchase next. Any suggestions?
            Try his church music. A fine piece to start with is the Magnificat in D.

If you like it, a logical next step is the Mass in B Minor.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited November 17, 2003).]
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I enjoy listening to Vivaldi also. As for Bach, you really can't go wrong with any of his 6 Brandenburg Concertos or his suites particularly Suite No. 3 in D Major (Air on the G String) a personal favourite of mine.
              As we're getting closer to the Holiday season I like 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring'. I enjoy playing this on my organ during Christmas time. Hope this helps!

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X