X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Aesthetics of Music by Roger Scruton

Here is a sample from the book, its really good:

"
    A musical culture introduces its participants to three important experiences and three forms of knowledge. The first is the experience of melody, or musical thinking, as it begins in tonal space and leads onwards to an apt conclusion. In singing a melody we understand the relation between phrases, the ways in which tone calls to tone across the imagined space of music. Melodies have character, and in singing them we imitate the forms of human life. Musical education teaches us to be alert to this character, and to understand that the rightness or wrongess of a tone is the rightness or wrongness of a gesture. In singing we rehearse our social nature, just as we do in dancing. And it matters that we should sing in courteous and cheerful ways.

The second experience is that of harmony, of voices sounding together, moving in concord, creating tension and resolution, filling the tonal space with an image of community. Classical harmony provides us with an archetype of human sympathy. The ability to notice a bass line, to feel the rightness if the bass notes and of the harmonies that erupt from them, is the ability to respond to a wider world, to value the other voice, and to situate both self and other in a moralized universe. There is all the difference between harmony formed through voice leading and harmony formed by hitting strings without regard to the relations among the inner parts as in the characteristic figure for acoustic guitar from 'Losing my religion' by REM in which no triad is ever inverted, and nothing moves between chords, so that all is absorbed in rythm.

The third experience is that of rhythm by which I mean something other than the all pervasive beat, on which the shapeless cries of the singer are hung as on wires of steel (from losing my religion a shapeless tune which has lost all movement of its own). I mean the pulse of human life, displayed in measure, syncopation and accent. Rythm is a play of hearbeats which reaches to all mankind. You hear it in jazz, and in the great works of classical music a delicate display of accents which invites us to dance. Beat is not rythm, but the last sad skeleton of rythm, stripped bare of human life.

Nobody who understands the experiences of melody, harmony, and rythm will doubt their value. Not only are they the distillation of centuries of social life: they are also forms of knowledge providing the competence to reach out of ourselves through music. Through melody, harmony and rythm we enter a world where others exist besides the self, a world what is full of feeling but also ordered, disciplined but free. That is why music is a character forming force, and the decline of musical taste a decline in morals. The anomie of Nirvana and REM is the anomie of its listeners. To withhold all judgement, as though a taste in music were on a par with a taste in icecream, is precisely not to understand the power of music.

In the first Pythian Ode Pundar evokes the lyre of Apollo, reminding that music is god-given, and hated by the beings to whome the love of Zeus does not extend. Music soothes, cheers and pacifies, it threatens the power of the monsters, who live by violence and lawlessness. Those lonely, antinomian beings are astounded by music, which speaks of another order of being the order which 'the footstep hears, as the dance begins'. It is this very order that is thratened by the monsters of popular culture. Much modern pop is cheerless, and meant to be cheerless. But much of it is also a kind of negation of music, a dehumanizing of the spirit of song."

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

An interesting article from Beyond,
    I am particularly fascinated by the aesthetics and philosophy of music, and Theodor Adorno in particular has some brilliant comments to make on Beethoven's music making.
    Yes I agree that popular trash culture constitutes some sort of threat to the refined 'other' order of being that we call classical music. But I do think that we should be confident here, granted trash culture is all around and falls on our head all day, but what is this in comparison with the Himalayan majesty and grandeur of say Beethoven, which modern culture cannot touch or defile in any way, so soaringly great is the man and the music.
    It is interesting as well that Greek mythology implies that the ablility to make or appreciate music is a God given gift.
    The sad truth may well be that millions of our fellow human beings will forever be locked out of an appreciation of say Beethoven, Bach etc. because they have just not been given the faculty that enables them to appreciate this higher order of being, and therefore, this music willl always remain to them unutterably strange, alien, even threatening to them in their mediocre and impoverished existences.

[This message has been edited by Frohlich (edited November 15, 2003).]

Comment

I have an almost 'fundamentalist' view of music, with my own experience of discovering classical music akin to a religious conversion. And I have frequently posted messages on this forum critical of pop-culture and some types of modern 'music'.
      However, I would not go so far as to dismiss all modern popular music (by modern popular I mean all genres of popular music from the advent of rock n roll from the 50s to date). Pop music never scales the lofty the hights nor plumbs the profound depths of the greatest of classical music, eg. Beethoven, but to its credit it doesn't aim to. If I go to a bar, in a social situation, I don't want to hear a Beethoven symphony or something of the sort, because in that setting it is innapropriate, and it would be an injustice to Beethoven too. I want something less profound, some lively, light entertainment. And pop music, in its proper place, is light entertainment. Nobody pretends that sit-coms on TV are as profound as a performance of a Shakespearean drama, but they don't aim to be. There are just light entertainment. As such they have their role to fulfill and they are not objectionable.
      Having said that, there is some pop music (although it is extremely rare if not non-existent amoung the most recent pop music of the last few years) in which I believe there is some artistic merit - for instance amoung some serious rock groups in the 60s and 70s, and even in catchy melodies of popular tunes in the 80s or 90s. Not merit that matches the enormity of Beethoven, but certainly merit that matches much more mediocre classical music that is now largely forgotten (there are many composers that are now forgotten about).

It is true, however, that some modern pop music really is truly vile, and the comments of Scruton are entirely applicable to it.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited November 16, 2003).]
      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

You make a great point, It seems all music has its place. But Im at the point where I wouldnt call that stuff intended for dance clubs/bars music, I think its merely "sound entertainment". But I definitly wouldnt want to hear Beethoven everyplace I go. He wouldnt fit as musak while Im waiting for my dentist to be ready. I personally would prefer silence over noise in those situations.

Comment

I agree with the above,and what is wrong with the rhythm section in popular music, don't they know any variations on bang bang bang,the dummers sound like machines and not musicians.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
            You make a great point, It seems all music has its place. But Im at the point where I wouldnt call that stuff intended for dance clubs/bars music, I think its merely "sound entertainment". But I definitly wouldnt want to hear Beethoven everyplace I go. He wouldnt fit as musak while Im waiting for my dentist to be ready. I personally would prefer silence over noise in those situations.

I agree with you partly. Modern society, with its neurotic emphasis on fast, compulsive activity, seems terrified of silence. Go go go and don't stop for a minute to be quiet and peaceful. There is a view that almost anything is preferable to silence, so they will even play music (doesn't have to be good music ... any old rubbish will do) on loud speakers in car parks of shopping centers, to make sure the gap is filled from the car to the shops, where again you will be blasted with multi-media images, mass consumerism, and all sorts of noise.

"It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              I agree with the above,and what is wrong with the rhythm section in popular music, don't they know any variations on bang bang bang,the dummers sound like machines and not musicians.
              Yes, a lot of dance music thesedays consists of virtually nothing but loud, abrasive repetitive rythm "BANG BANG BANG BANG!!" over and over with all sorts of robotic, pseudo-futuristic machine-like electronic wizz-bang embellishments which can be produced by the click of a button in about five minutes with the appropriate computer software, and which do not count as harmony, melody or even rythm, but merely as sound effects that attempt to dazzle you. It really is rubbish, and incredibly boring and tedious. I can't believe that the people who are into that mindlessly repetative stuff say classical music is boring! I really do believe that the only way it can properly be enjoyed is if you are drunk or drugged up.

At nightclubs, although it is uncool to admit as much, I personally only really enjoy those 80's retro nights, because at least a lot of 80s pop songs have catchy melodies.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
                [B] I agree with you partly. Modern society, with its neurotic emphasis on fast, compulsive activity, seems terrified of silence. Go go go and don't stop for a minute to be quiet and peaceful. There is a view that almost anything is preferable to silence, so they will even play music (doesn't have to be good music ... any old rubbish will do) on loud speakers in car parks of shopping centers, to make sure the gap is filled from the car to the shops, where again you will be blasted with multi-media images, mass consumerism, and all sorts of noise.

Obsession with noise.
                In recent weeks in the UK most people over a certain age have been driven almost demented, including the nations pet population by the assortet BANGS of fireworks of various decibel strength that have been going off to celebrate the mindless bonfire night.
                OK, one can understand I suppose fireworks before and on the night of Nov. the 5th is understandable, but in recent years myself and friends have noticed a disturbing tendency for the untermench to carry on exploding these appalling near incendiary devices for weeks after the 5th. I can only put this down to the inexorable dumbing down of the UK's population, and the noise levels really do constiture an invasion of ones personal space.

Comment

Wow, so its really hopeless everywhere, not just in America.

This is all the result of "freedom". Now that art has been completely reduced to subjectivity, people feel its acceptible to put their brain on autopilot. No matter, I like better this way. Atleast now the people who understand this stuff are trully fans of the music.

haha this thread is so bitter.

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited November 16, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
                    I have an almost 'fundamentalist' view of music, with my own experience of discovering classical music akin to a religious conversion. And I have frequently posted messages on this forum critical of pop-culture and some types of modern 'music'.
                    However, I would not go so far as to dismiss all modern popular music (by modern popular I mean all genres of popular music from the advent of rock n roll from the 50s to date). Pop music never scales the lofty the hights nor plumbs the profound depths of the greatest of classical music, eg. Beethoven, but to its credit it doesn't aim to. If I go to a bar, in a social situation, I don't want to hear a Beethoven symphony or something of the sort, because in that setting it is innapropriate, and it would be an injustice to Beethoven too. I want something less profound, some lively, light entertainment. And pop music, in its proper place, is light entertainment. Nobody pretends that sit-coms on TV are as profound as a performance of a Shakespearean drama, but they don't aim to be. There are just light entertainment. As such they have their role to fulfill and they are not objectionable.
                    Having said that, there is some pop music (although it is extremely rare if not non-existent amoung the most recent pop music of the last few years) in which I believe there is some artistic merit - for instance amoung some serious rock groups in the 60s and 70s, and even in catchy melodies of popular tunes in the 80s or 90s. Not merit that matches the enormity of Beethoven, but certainly merit that matches much more mediocre classical music that is now largely forgotten (there are many composers that are now forgotten about).

It is true, however, that some modern pop music really is truly vile, and the comments of Scruton are entirely applicable to it.

And its a pity that the masses prefer this lighter entertainment all the time to anything else that might force them to think and to exert an effort to appreciate whatever the art form might be.

Comment

Working...
                    X