No announcement yet.

Sonata #14 (Moonlight) mvm, iii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually 17. I first started taking piano lessons at 6 but it was really on and off and I didn't really get a good teacher until later on as well. Also, as I grew older I was flooded with more work from school and that really hindered things for me. I'm really not sure what "level" I would say I'm at but definitely wish I had spent more time from age 6 through 16...would be much farther along then I am now...

My sight-reading is just AWFUL, my knowledge as far as theory goes _I_ think is very limited, I know a lot of basic musical terms but there is a GREAT deal I still don't really know.. forms (Scherzo, Rondo....), loads of scales, chords, etc. that I need to learn....things that I feel I should already have a grasp on.

I've been working on developing my ear and memorizing every note's tension against a key and so far I can hear 1-5 pretty well and I'm starting to get 6 and 7.

I really don't find phrasing difficult at all so long as I've heard the piece before hand and I really only enjoy listening to classical music, particularly Beethoven....practically everyday, even...several months ago I started working on my first Beethoven Sonata, the Tempest, even though my teacher had advised against it and had said he wouldn't help. Things turned out well though and he ended up helping me I learned most of the 1st and 3rd Movements and left it at that.

Like I said though, he's got me working on some other pieces he wants me to get done (JS Bach's Little Prelude in F, Chopin's E minor Prelude and Rachmaninoff's C# Minor Prelude) so I didn't tell him.

Comment

YES! The Tempest is amazing! Another motivation for myself...

Peter, are you a concert pianist?
      Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
      That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
      And then is heard no more. It is a tale
      Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
      Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Well if you're only doing one octave, try doing 2. If you're doing 2 octave arpeggios try accenting them in 4's - make sure they're rhythmical. Try starting from the top as well as the bottom! Try starting in different octave positions. Practice in a dotted rhythm. Do them hands separately and together - play them loud and firm, play them soft, vary the speed - do a different one each day with its corresponding scale, not the three you are doing each day. Try and recognise scale and arpeggio patterns in your pieces and recognise keys - make sure your thumb passes smoothly under the hand - I could go on but this is turning into a music lesson!

Thanks very much for this Peter it never occured to me to play arppeggios hands together but I worked at this today in the two new scales I am learning Eflat Major and C minor.I have only ever done the things my teacher has asked of me and haven't thought to explore on my own much.I'm going to try your other suggestions as well ,my thumb can be unruly at times.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Thanks very much for this Peter it never occured to me to play arppeggios hands together but I worked at this today in the two new scales I am learning Eflat Major and C minor.I have only ever done the things my teacher has asked of me and haven't thought to explore on my own much.I'm going to try your other suggestions as well ,my thumb can be unruly at times.
          Well obviously you must be guided by your teacher, therefore only work at the scales and arpeggios he /she gives you as they know when you are ready to move on. However there are many different ways of practising and this is what you should be doing rather than merely 'playing' - no wonder you're getting bored! Always remember the golden rules - does it look right? Does it feel right? Does it sound right? Listen, Listen, Listen, never let your ear become dull to the sounds you produce!!! Always aim for an even beautiful tone (no harshness) - this is why even an arpeggio if played correctly is an enjoyable music experience and if you view it like that instead of a boring drudge you will progress much quicker.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
            YES! The Tempest is amazing! Another motivation for myself...

Peter, are you a concert pianist?
            These days I don't give concerts so my energies are directed towards teaching.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Always remember the golden rules - does it look right? Does it feel right? Does it sound right? Listen, Listen, Listen, never let your ear become dull to the sounds you produce!!! Always aim for an even beautiful tone ...

[/B]
              Dear me, this was my second mistake after deciding to take up the piano at fifty.I purchased a terrible old heavy 1900 piano out of a damp basement.My technician suggestions that it would cost far more than it was worth to put it into shape.The chief problems are the old and brittle strings which tend to buzz. But I supposed the poor old girl was good enough for the likes of me.If I had known then what I now know I would have spent more money on a better instrument.Since I have had it it's been tuned a few times,and it always sounds better after this.The buzzing is a bit annoying ,I try to ignore it.My teacher has a nice piano and I can surely tell the difference between them.
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
              X