• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic mp3 page - Piano concerto no.2 Op.19

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I love this concerto, so joyful and exhilarating! The recording I think, brings out the articulation of the piece.

Comment

Yes this was delightful, what a great sound,thanks Rod.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Rod,
        Ah yes, great sound indeed. This is such a classical concerto, and yet so Beethoven too. Simple mind that I am, I really prefer these Early Period works.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This is a good effort I think, as good as you can expect to hear. The first movement is usually the problem with op19, it's supposed to be allegro con brio but what one tends to hear (at least from my experience) is something closer to a minuet! In this recording it is played with more spirit than I've heard elsewhere, as is this final Rondo.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            Rod,
            ...Simple mind that I am, I really prefer these Early Period works.

Well the early works sound better performed as they are on the 'authentic' mp3 page, as do the later ones, as you will find out.

I myself tend not to regard the early works as by default lesser than the later ones, I just see all the 'periods' simply as different facets of his creative genius. B himself probably would not agree, but I think we can appreciate his output in a more wholistic light than he would allow himself to see.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Well the early works sound better performed as they are on the 'authentic' mp3 page, as do the later ones, as you will find out.

I myself tend not to regard the early works as by default lesser than the later ones, I just see all the 'periods' simply as different facets of his creative genius. B himself probably would not agree, but I think we can appreciate his output in a more wholistic light than he would allow himself to see.
              Rod,
              Well, it is a natural human tendency to see things as linear, when in fact they often are not. I think the approach you describe above of seeing just different facets at different times is probably a lot more reflective of reality. Since my musical taste stems wholly from the Classical Era, it is not then unnatural that the so-called "Early Period" works should attract me, I suppose. I know that B used more classical STRUCTURE as he got older, but the SOUND of his music was more classical in the early works, IMHO.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again, Rod for this wonderful piece. It brought the sun out on this cloudy day here in Vienna.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                  Thanks again, Rod for this wonderful piece. It brought the sun out on this cloudy day here in Vienna.

Andrea, I think the Viennese weather forcasters should be informed of when you play these pieces. They must be scratching their heads as to why the sun seems to suddenly cut through overcast cloud without warning every week or so!

------------------

Comment

Bravo! After listening to this, I understand more fully why these concertos should be played on authentic keyboards. every note can be heard with great clarity and brilliance. The lightness of this movement is much more apparent than when played on a heavy duty modern instrument.

I find this to be a very funny piece. The theme itself sounds lopsided. The first note really "should" start on the upbeat not the downbeat. Finally, towards the end of the movement, the soloist tentatively tries it out this way, with the more natural iambic treatment and the orchestra refuses to go along with it.

The brooding, serious Beethoven that we all know and love seems more suited for the big sonata allegro movements, but he included rondos in most of his concertos. They are not all as funny, verging on silly, as this one, but they seems to serve the classical function of balancing out the serious issues that may have appeared in the first two movements.

Uh oh. We're back to Beethoven as classicist/romantic again. God help us.

Comment

Working...
                    X