Film Louis van Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Louis van Beethoven

Dear Beethoven fanboys and fangirls, here's a link to the most recent Beethoven film.
    It's free to watch on YouTube, in German with English subtitles.
    According to my German wife, the accents are pretty authentic (Beethoven's Rheinish accent, Constanza Mozart's Austrian accent, etc.)
    Certain scenes are less historically accurate (see the extended scene where LvB meets Mozart and becomes his copyist) but what do we care, it's all entertainment !!

If that link doesn't work, try this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FUv86LHw_0

Comment

Thanks for that - look forward to viewing this in a few days when I have some spare time!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

My verdict - yet again a missed opportunity and we still await a definitive version of Beethoven's life. The juxtaposition of the early Bonn years with the final year was in essence a good idea, but the script (even with authentic accents) was pretty poor and the acting not much better.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks, Quijote. I just finished watching it. Not too bad, and I enjoyed some of the individual scenes, but it didn't seem to come together into much of a whole. Interlacing the scenes with the young and old Beethoven made it seem even more like a series of unconnected scenes rather than a coherent narrative, although it did make a little more sense by the end. I wonder whether it is even possible to make a good movie that is a basically accurate biopic of Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter
            My verdict - yet again a missed opportunity and we still await a definitive version of Beethoven's life. The juxtaposition of the early Bonn years with the final year was in essence a good idea, but the script (even with authentic accents) was pretty poor and the acting not much better.
            Re the part I have bolded, has there ever been a definitive version of any composer's life, I wonder? Would be nice to have one such about Beethoven, I agree. It's not as if the subject matter doesn't lend itself to dramatic cinematic treatment, does it?
            I enjoyed the film (despite many disappointments with it) - I'm just glad to watch almost anything about Beethoven!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
              Thanks, Quijote. I just finished watching it. Not too bad, and I enjoyed some of the individual scenes, but it didn't seem to come together into much of a whole. Interlacing the scenes with the young and old Beethoven made it seem even more like a series of unconnected scenes rather than a coherent narrative, although it did make a little more sense by the end. I wonder whether it is even possible to make a good movie that is a basically accurate biopic of Beethoven.
              Yes, you're right - the whole "Middle Period" chunk of Beethoven's life didn't feature at all. But I still liked the film as I'm an LvB fanboy and take whatever crumbs from the table that I can get!
              I thought the film was visually attractive and I liked the emphasis on Neefe, Beethoven's teacher in Bonn. I also liked the fact it was in German language. Anyway, who knows, one day there might be a Beethoven film to satisfy us purists, hey!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                Re the part I have bolded, has there ever been a definitive version of any composer's life, I wonder? Would be nice to have one such about Beethoven, I agree. It's not as if the subject matter doesn't lend itself to dramatic cinematic treatment, does it?
                I enjoyed the film (despite many disappointments with it) - I'm just glad to watch almost anything about Beethoven!
                No I can't think of one - Amadeus was far from that, but it was very entertaining! The 1984 Wagner biopic was perhaps the boldest attempt to portray a composer (and it had an amazing cast, with Richard Burton in his last film role), but still failed overall. Yes, Beethoven's life really could be made into something special as could Liszt's who had perhaps the most colourful existence of any composer!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, let's hope we see a great Beethoven biopic before the Armageddon comes !

Comment

No I can't think of one - Amadeus was far from that, but it was very entertaining! The 1984 Wagner biopic was perhaps the boldest attempt to portray a composer (and it had an amazing cast, with Richard Burton in his last film role), but still failed overall. Yes, Beethoven's life really could be made into something special as could Liszt's who had perhaps the most colourful existence of any composer!
                    Thanks for the tip Peter, I found that on YouTube. I haven't had time to watch it yet but given the cast and Solti at the musical helm I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                      Thanks for the tip Peter, I found that on YouTube. I haven't had time to watch it yet but given the cast and Solti at the musical helm I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it !!!

I'm not sure it's complete on Youtube? Total running time is 466 minutes. Even William Walton has a tiny part in the film!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm not sure it's complete on Youtube? Total running time is 466 minutes. Even William Walton has a tiny part in the film!
                        Here are Parts II, III & IV.

Comment

Thanks for that Quijote, nice to know it's available online. I have it on VHS (amongst the few remaining in such format I still possess!).
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                          X