Live Beethoven tonight on internet radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Beethoven tonight on internet radio

LIVE ALL BEETHOVEN PROGRAM. "Leonore Overture No 2;" "Piano Concerto No 5;" "Symphony No 7." With Lorin Maazel conducting the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall. Live tonight at 8 PM, Eastern US time, on www.wqxr.com
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Thankyou for the link Chaszz,
    Though I didn't get the Beethoven Program, I was lucky to tune in today to hear Prokoviev's Romoe and Juliet, played by non other that the incomparable Berlin Philharmonic , conducted by Claudio Abbado.

In My view there has never been a more stunning and evocative portrayal of human hatred and rivalry in the whole of music.
    It seems to fan out in great disturbed waves of emotion and angst. I always sense a kind of warped imbalance in this magnificent music that perfectly captures the rivalry between the Montagues & Capulets.

Another lovely piece I heard was Saint Saens, Havanaise for Violin & Orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Frohlich:

Thankyou for the link Chaszz,
      Though I didn't get the Beethoven Program, I was lucky to tune in today to hear Prokoviev's Romoe and Juliet, played by non other that the incomparable Berlin Philharmonic , conducted by Claudio Abbado.
      Perhaps you were not so lucky after all!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Perhaps you were not so lucky after all!

Hi Rodders,
        Do I take it that you do not like Prokofiev?
        Obviously it is a vastly different sound world comparing 1920's Russian avant-garde music with the most sublime product of Georgian England, ie. Handel's music. Nevertheless, Prokoviev is I think, an important composer, writing in a western symphonic tradition and a person with great gifts so far as orchestration is concerned, like Strauss and Respighi.
        You only have to listen to the Romeo & Juliet suite to realize this.

Comment

Hi Rodders,
          Do I take it that you do not like Prokofiev?
          Obviously it is a vastly different sound world comparing 1920's Russian avant-garde music with the most sublime product of Georgian England, ie. Handel's music. Nevertheless, Prokoviev is I think, an important composer, writing in a western symphonic tradition and a person with great gifts so far as orchestration is concerned, like Strauss and Respighi.
          You only have to listen to the Romeo & Juliet suite to realize this.
          Not a nationalistic issue, Handel wrote some of his best known themes before he left Hamburg for Italy, long before he came to London. I was thinking of Beethoven in any case!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Not a nationalistic issue, Handel wrote some of his best known themes before he left Hamburg for Italy, long before he came to London. I was thinking of Beethoven in any case!

Thankyou Rod, I see what you mean.
            As a matter of interest, I understand that whilst Handel was in Italy the Cardinals there tried to convert him to Catholicism , Obviously, they could see his potential as a brilliant young composer and wanted him to write for the papal court.

Amalie

Comment

Come now, we all know that one has only to testify to having enjoyed a composer other than Beethoven and Handel, for Rod to put up a comment insulting that composer. He could probably program these insults as macro commands in Microsoft Word, and just flick them off with single keystrokes. Rod, this past week I have enjoyed Beethoven and Handel (whom I must admit I'm appreciating more all the time), but I've also enjoyed Bach, Monteverdi, R. Strauss, Wagner, Liszt, Purcell, Mozart, Boyce, Telemann, Sibelius and a few others. What oh what can I do to rein in my degenerate taste? Obviously just listening to Beethoven and Handel doesn't do it, because I still keep up these other, depraved habits. I am in despair as to know how how to get out of this turgid swamp... Perhaps it was not meant, in the grand plan, for more than a few each generation to see the true light, and the rest of us are doomed, as were those not among the nine souls whom Calvin declared could alone be saved...

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited November 09, 2003).]
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                Come now, we all know that one has only to testify to having enjoyed a composer other than Beethoven and Handel, for Rod to put up a comment insulting that composer. He could probably program these insults as macro commands in Microsoft Word, and just flick them off with single keystrokes. Rod, this past week I have enjoyed Beethoven and Handel (whom I must admit I'm appreciating more all the time), but I've also enjoyed Bach, Monteverdi, R. Strauss, Wagner, Liszt, Purcell, Mozart, Boyce, Telemann, Sibelius and a few others. What oh what can I do to rein in my degenerate taste? Obviously just listening to Beethoven and Handel doesn't do it, because I still keep up these other, depraved habits. I am in despair as to know how how to get out of this turgid swamp... Perhaps it was not meant, in the grand plan, for more than a few each generation to see the true light, and the rest of us are doomed, as were those not among the nine souls whom Calvin declared could alone be saved...

Chaszz,
                I am intrigued who the nine souls are who Calvin declared could alone be saved.
                Obviously Beethoven wasn't known in Calvin's Geneva, so does that mean that B was one of the lost souls??

x Amalie

Comment

Chaszz,
                  I am intrigued who the nine souls are who Calvin declared could alone be saved.
                  Obviously Beethoven wasn't known in Calvin's Geneva, so does that mean that B was one of the lost souls??

x Amalie

I was told years ago in a history class that Calvin believed there were nine. Evidently the teacher was indulging in hyperbole, because checking out Calvin now I don't find that number mentioned. He did however believe that only a limited number were predestined to be saved, and no one could know who they were. Beethoven would not have qualified in any case in Calvin's eyes because he was Catholic, and Calvin was among the strictest of the Protestant reformers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

Only last week I listened to a number of Bach orchestral pieces on the radio including a Brandenburg concerto. They all sounded rather lack-lustre compared to Handels nearest efforts, but never mind. I give the other boys a chance but to date only Handel to my mind matches Beethoven's 'formula' for composition.

A true story - a good friend of mine (and fine opera singer to be) asked me recently if I liked opera. I said only Beethoven's and Handel's. To which she replyed 'so you don't like opera?'

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 11, 2003).]

Comment

Working...
                    X