Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "insert video" function doesn't work for this one, here's the direct YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYGAlS6h-Zo
    Last edited by Quijote; 12-12-2022, 03:03 PM.

Comment

It's cold here these days where I live, there's snow on my balcony and in the streets below and I'm thinking of cooking some venison ... but before that, let's take a break from the kitchen for some JS Bach offered by the wonderful Netherlands Bach Society. This time, for your delectation, the Concerto in A minor BWV 1065 for 4 harpsichords (dig those suspensions around the 54-second mark, but don't stop there!). Minimal HIP forces with maximum impact:

Last edited by Quijote; 12-17-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

A propos the above (Bach concerto for 4 harpsichords), why do Bruckner detractors whinge on about his sequential passages? Have a close listen of the 2nd
        movement for many instances of this compositional "filler". Ditto for the 3rd movement.
        Last edited by Quijote; 12-17-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

A prime example of a sequential "filler" is at the 9'01" to 9'16" mark, here:

https://youtu.be/emkJ0A7IfkY?t=540

Last edited by Quijote; 12-17-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Now for an example of sequential treatment from Bruckner: his motet Christus factus est. Here's the full motet (a mere 5' of vocal beauty):

Listen carefully and you will hear a good many sequential pasages.
            Last edited by Quijote; 12-17-2022, 08:44 PM.

Comment

And now a key sequential passage from the 0'39" mark to the 0'59" mark: a sequence of 7th chords (non-modulating then modulating):

https://youtu.be/kMJQ6JkeyKY?t=39

Bruckner detractors lament (bleat on about) how he applies this technique in his symphonies. Why?
              Last edited by Quijote; 12-17-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pauleens View Post
                Listening to The new Christmas Classics - "Christ's Birth Carols"

PROGRESS GABRIEL AKPABIO - Christ's Birth Carols: lyrics and songs | Deezer
                I gave that a listen. I'm very sorry, it's dreadful,

Comment

Now for something far more original in terms of Christmas carols unlike the dreadfully unoriginal and saccharine collection posted above.

Benjamin Britten: A Ceremony of Carols, Op. 28 (1943)

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    Now for something far more original in terms of Christmas carols unlike the dreadfully unoriginal and saccharine collection posted above.

Benjamin Britten: A Ceremony of Carols, Op. 28 (1943)

Thanks for posting that seasonal offering - highly original and enjoyable.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                      Now for an example of sequential treatment from Bruckner: his motet Christus factus est. Here's the full motet (a mere 5' of vocal beauty):

Listen carefully and you will hear a good many sequential pasages.
                      Yes very beautiful, but sequences I don't see/hear him breaking the no more than 3 in a row rule unlike Mozart in this passage in the rondo of k.499 (starting c.3'17) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyO...rchestra-Topic
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter

Yes very beautiful, but sequences I don't see/hear him breaking the no more than 3 in a row rule unlike Mozart in this passage in the rondo of k.499 (starting c.3'17) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyO...rchestra-Topic
                        Well yes, in a motet barely lasting 5 minutes, Bruckner could hardly go overboard on sequences, could he? Lovely Mozart passage, extended sequences and all, thanks for that.

Comment

I've been listening to some cello sonatas by Beethoven's contemporaries Hummel, Moscheles and Ries, played by HIP performers Marco Testori (cello) and Costantino Mastroprimiano (fortepiano). I'll have to do a bit of research to find out their publication dates, premiers, dedicatees and so on to see if there are any tie-ins with Beethoven. I'll report back when I get the time...

Anyway, here's the full list which is not given in the YouTube video:

1 Ignaz Moscheles: Grande sonate concertante in B-Flat Major, Op. 34: I. Allegro moderato

2 Ignaz Moscheles: Grande sonate concertante in B-Flat Major, Op. 34: II. Andante doloroso – Un poco piu mosso

3 Ignaz Moscheles: Grande sonate concertante in B-Flat Major, Op. 34: III. Allegro molto

4 Ferdinand Ries: Grande sonate in G Minor, Op. 125: I. Grave – Allegro

5 Ferdinand Ries: Grande sonate in G Minor, Op. 125: II. Larghetto con moto

6 Ferdinand Ries: Grande sonate in G Minor, Op. 125: III. Rondo. Allegretto

7 Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Cello Sonate in A major, Op. 104: I. Allegro amabile e grazioso

8 Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Cello Sonate in A major, Op. 104: II. Un poco adagio e con espressione

9 Johann Nepomuk Hummel: Cello Sonate in A major, Op. 104: III. Rondo. Allegro vivace un poco

Last edited by Quijote; 01-07-2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Listening to the final movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Toscanini) and wondering, in the context of the previous 8 symphonies, how it even came to be.

Comment

Reading Alan Walker's wonderful Chopin biography inspired me to listen to this piece by Chopin's most gifted pupil, Carl Filtsch who died tragically young aged 15. The piece sounds as though written by Chopin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Filtsch
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Following on from my previous post here is another work by Filtsch, don't forget he was no more than 14 when this was composed. What a tragic loss to the musical world!

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X