Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Beethoven add to, change, or influence music history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did Beethoven add to, change, or influence music history?

email me or post wat u think about how he added to, changed, or influenced music history.

Originally posted by psyco:
    email me or post wat u think about how he added to, changed, or influenced music history.
    That is a simple question, but difficult to answer. I think, as he didn't really developed new musical forms, his greatness results from expanding and deepening existing forms (like sonata, quartet, symphony, etc.). But it's also interesting that most people consider Schubert as the inventor of the romantic song, though Beethoven wrote all of his songs before Schubert did. And I maybe wrong but I think Schubert was inspired by those songs. I like them very much (Adelaïde, An die Ferne Geliebte, etc).

I can only mention say that - what everbody knows - Beethoven influenced nearly all 19th century composers after him and even in a way some 20th century composers.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by BTHVNFAN:
      That is a simple question, but difficult to answer. I think, as he didn't really developed new musical forms, his greatness results from expanding and deepening existing forms (like sonata, quartet, symphony, etc.). But it's also interesting that most people consider Schubert as the inventor of the romantic song, though Beethoven wrote all of his songs before Schubert did. And I maybe wrong but I think Schubert was inspired by those songs. I like them very much (Adelaïde, An die Ferne Geliebte, etc).

I can only mention say that - what everbody knows - Beethoven influenced nearly all 19th century composers after him and even in a way some 20th century composers.

Anyone else?
      Until recently I had not heard much of the Beethoven songs. And now that I've had some exposure I am pleased to see that these are of no less quality than his other more well known works. (After all, what was I expecting?)

The expansion of form, the addition of certain instruments as well as voices in the symphonic works, the sheer power and depth that the music contains are some of the things that did influence composers in the years to come. Some composers were intimidated to some extent by Beethoven's works as well. The depth of feeling in the music (sorry--I can't really find another way to state that better) is perhaps the greatest influence that I, as a composer, might have.

Comment

Perhaps he created the entire platform of a new art of composition techniques for the following romantic era?

Comment

Beethoven was the transitioning forerunner into a new era of classical music. I think Mahler did something similar at his later time.
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

We can talk about the expansion of form, the breaking of traditional classical models and rules, but for me, more importantly, Beethoven was one of the first notable composers whose music reflects his own human condition. It just so happens that those core beliefs and ideas that he held and that manifested in his music are deeply rooted in most of us, and that is one of the reasons why he has had a lasting impression on many of the great composers after him. But for those who followed, it wasn't a case of trying to imitate Beethoven; Beethoven had pointed the way that music can be used as a vehicle for their own personal expression. Brahms, Schubert, Wagner, Berlioz, Mahler, Liszt, Schoenberg - all of these composers venerated Beethoven but all of them strived to have their own voice be heard in their music.

I'd say it's true that Beethoven ushered in the Romantic era (and I'd add Mozart as a forerunner to that too), but his late music, his string quartets in particular, are unlike anything composed before or after. They are sui generis and they stand alone. Music doesn't "advance" from that point, more that it just goes in a different direction.
            Last edited by hal9000; 10-01-2016, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              Beethoven was the transitioning forerunner into a new era of classical music. I think Mahler did something similar at his later time.
              I think that Mahler took the model of Beethoven, and took it to its absolute limit. I'd say Mahler's music is carry on from Beethoven's rather than a departure.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                We can talk about the expansion of form, the breaking of traditional classical models and rules, but for me, more importantly, Beethoven was one of the first notable composers whose music reflects his own human condition. It just so happens that those core beliefs and ideas that he held and that manifested in his music are deeply rooted in most of us, and that is one of the reasons why he has had a lasting impression on many of the great composers after him. But for those who followed, it wasn't a case of trying to imitate Beethoven; Beethoven had pointed the way that music can be used as a vehicle for their own personal expression. Brahms, Schubert, Wagner, Berlioz, Mahler, Liszt, Schoenberg - all of these composers venerated Beethoven but all of them strived to have their own voice be heard in their music.

I'd say it's true that Beethoven ushered in the Romantic era (and I'd add Mozart as a forerunner to that too), but his late music, his string quartets in particular, are unlike anything composed before or after. They are sui generis and they stand alone. Music doesn't "advance" from that point, more that it just goes in a different direction.
                Yes, Great summary. I agree. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                  I think that Mahler took the model of Beethoven, and took it to its absolute limit. I'd say Mahler's music is carry on from Beethoven's rather than a departure.
                  Thanks. That is a good way of putting it. So good, that I put it in my signature.

Additionally it seems that generally Beethoven and Mahler bracket the classical music era that I like most.
                  Last edited by Harvey; 10-01-2016, 06:41 PM.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                  --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
                  X