Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we talk a second about Es Muss Sein?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we talk a second about Es Muss Sein?!

Two Matters about Op. 135:

1) Recently, for the first time ever, I heard Opus 135 finale's Development & Recap REPEATED in the version by the Ebene Quartet.

Which adds like 3 mins to the mvt.
    Really threw me when I first heard it.
    I was like: Whaaaat?

But I wonder if the directive to repeat the sections was meant seriously or in jest. I read an anecdote where Beethoven wrote "If you dare!" in regards to repeating.

2) The Nature of the finale. Some say it's all a joke, a play on the fact that someone owed him money and asked him, Must it be?

Victor Lederer, music author, says that because the Muss Es Sein? motif is so "overstated" in the Development that it HAS to be a joke.

Really? I confess to listening to this before thinking it delved into metaphysical truths. Perhaps the master meant it both ways? Humor & Truth?

PS: I got no problems with repeats like in the 5th symphony which even some purists decry. Scherzo and Trio once more, anyone? Finale exposition a second time around, anyone? If it's played well, no problem! (Pierre Boulez is phenomenal with those repeats, btw). But with the Op. 132 quartet, even played by ultra-talents, I wonder if it's not stretching it out too much? Thoughts?

By pure coincidence I was listening to Op.135 the other day played brilliantly by the Alban Berg quartet. I believe Beethoven did leave the repeats as an option, but not sure of the source for this.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X