Pianist vs. Composer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pianist vs. Composer

Does anyone know where I can find any info on this topic? I'm doing a paper and I wondered if anyone ever came across an article like this. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Originally posted by KLS Productions:
    Does anyone know where I can find any info on this topic? I'm doing a paper and I wondered if anyone ever came across an article like this. Thanks in advance.

Rob
    Perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the question.

Melvyn.

Comment

Rob
      Perhaps he is trying to determine if Beethoven was more relevant as a pianist than he was as a composer (or vice versa) ?!?

I really have no idea myself...

[This message has been edited by Stargazer78 (edited October 31, 2003).]

Comment

Sorry for not being clear. I was wondering how his piano playing had an effect on his composing and vice versa. Do you think that Beethoven resented the fact that he was thought of as a pianist first, then a composer?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Sorry for not being clear. I was wondering how his piano playing had an effect on his composing and vice versa. Do you think that Beethoven resented the fact that he was thought of as a pianist first, then a composer?

Any thoughts?
          In those days vitruoso pianists often played their own material or improvised it on the spot, thus being a pianist and a composer went hand in hand. This is not something that happens today - even the best pianists today have no compositional or improvisational ability whatsoever. I doubt the issue you mention came to Beethoven's mind. Of course as his deafness became worse his days as a pianist were over in any case.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Do you think that Beethoven resented the fact that he was thought of as a pianist first, then a composer?

Any thoughts?
            I've wondered if Beethoven had known what was in store for his hearing if he might not have wanted to tour the great cities as a virtuoso for as long as he was able.Reading Thayer ,it sounds to me as if he did plenty of playing when he was a young man but for very small (and lucky) groups of people.It sounds to me as though he didn't really enjoy performing all the time,didn't he walk out one night when asked to play for some big wigs,wasn't this the begining of the end of his relationship with Prince Lichnowsky?

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
            X