Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar music by Beethoven?

An evening of guitar music by Beethoven is
    being presented at the University next week and is described as "arrangements made during Beethoven's lifetime by friends and close associates." I wonder what music they are refering to?
    "Finis coronat opus "

Originally posted by spaceray:
    An evening of guitar music by Beethoven is
    being presented at the University next week and is described as "arrangements made during Beethoven's lifetime by friends and close associates." I wonder what music they are refering to?
    I don't know. It seems like a contradiction to me. First they say "guitar music by Beethoven". Then they go on to say "arrangements made by friends and associates". I don't see how it can be both.

I suppose they must mean Beethoven's music arranged for the guitar by other people.

Beethoven did do some music for the mandolin. I think that's the closest he came to the guitar.

Melvyn.

Comment

An arrangement of Beethoven's music for guitar an flute was made by no less a person than Diabelli. I don't know if it was made during B's lifetime or not.
      It's a very strange mixture, starting off with the opening of the Fourth Symphony, then going straight into the last movement of the "Spring Sonata" and including bits of the "Pastorale" sonata and the C minor piano trio.
      I don't know what Beethoven would have thought of it.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
        An arrangement of Beethoven's music for guitar an flute was made by no less a person than Diabelli. I don't know if it was made during B's lifetime or not.
        It's a very strange mixture, starting off with the opening of the Fourth Symphony, then going straight into the last movement of the "Spring Sonata" and including bits of the "Pastorale" sonata and the C minor piano trio.
        I don't know what Beethoven would have thought of it.

Michael
        Not much, by the sounds of it!

Melvyn.

Comment

A brilliant arrangement of which Beethoven most likely didn't know about, was made by Vaclav Matejka (1773-1830) of the Serenade opus 8 scored for Flute, Viola and Guitar.
          Recorded by the Belgian Kamertrio Molino on a CD KM1990

Comment

There is a guitar concerto that Beethoven wrote and deemed not worthy. It was found only several years ago.
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
              There is a guitar concerto that Beethoven wrote and deemed not worthy. It was found only several years ago.

This is totally new to me.
              More clues please, Preston

Comment

http://www.gyrix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3229

Comment

No luck to pluck I'm so sad to say, it looks like that announcement of a newly discovered guitar concerto made by B for Sor was completely made up for April fool's day two years ago. Really what a shame. Now please remember Not to shoot the messenger

Comment

Thanks A LOT for that information, Leira.

Comment

*blushing* you're welcome, Preston
                      Last edited by Leira; 11-25-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

B's very beautiful song Adelaide was arranged with guitar accompaniment first by Mateigka, published at Artaria in Wien 1807, and I believe Diabelli made one and had it published in the late 1820s.
                        Thought maybe someone's interested. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X