X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rachmaninov Barcarolle from suite for 2 pianos, Babayan and Trifonov

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ravel's astonishing "Miroirs" - Lortie. Can anybody please explain to me about the double time signature at the start of "A Boat on the Ocean"? One is compound and the other simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4Lxm3IpvY

Back in for another question; this time "Le Tombeau". At the penultimate bar of the Fugue there is a B in brackets. Why is it bracketed and how should it be played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcuPVgpUKKs
      Last edited by Schenkerian; 08-29-2022, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Listening to Beethoven's variations on "God Save the King,"
        He really admired this tune and also used it in "Wellington's Victory" and one of his folk-song arrangements.

Comment

Great choice! Good to hear from you, I've been thinking about you, wondering if things were okay with you.

Comment

I say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post
              Ravel's astonishing "Miroirs" - Lortie. Can anybody please explain to me about the double time signature at the start of "A Boat on the Ocean"? One is compound and the other simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4Lxm3IpvY

Back in for another question; this time "Le Tombeau". At the penultimate bar of the Fugue there is a B in brackets. Why is it bracketed and how should it be played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcuPVgpUKKs
              I've found the answer to my question about the Fugue: those bracketed notes are there because the music is played only on the treble clef and the note has already been sounded in one part and is there for timing purposes alone - since the note is already sounded. Yeah, but thanks for the help anyway folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Listening to Beethoven's variations on "God Save the King,"
                He really admired this tune and also used it in "Wellington's Victory" and one of his folk-song arrangements.
                Very appropriate for this time, Michael, and I have been listening to it as well. In the USA, we use the tune for our patriotic song "America (My Country, 'Tis of Thee)". It is a favorite of every school child.

Comment

Listening to the Beethoven fugue (Hess 29) that Gerd posted on his orchestration thread. I love it!

Comment

A fine version of Handel's 'Eternal source of light divine'

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to on Radio 4 discussion about Debussy - Prelude a L'apres Midi un Faune.

https://youtu.be/bYyK922PsUw?t=54

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Morning Mood from Grieg's Peer Gynt. I've been giving my nephew his first piano lessons, and this tune was one of his lessons. Now he plays it every time he passes a piano, and he's gotten it stuck in my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Morning Mood from Grieg's Peer Gynt. I've been giving my nephew his first piano lessons, and this tune was one of his lessons. Now he plays it every time he passes a piano, and he's gotten it stuck in my head!
                          Be grateful it isn't chopsticks!

Comment

Haydn - Piano Trio in C major, Hob.XV:21

I haven't revisited the Haydn piano trios in a while, but I caught this one on the radio in the car this morning, and I'm glad I did! Now I'll have to revisit some more Haydn chamber music today.

It's great to have CDs and digital music so that you can listen to basically any piece you want at any time. But there is something about the radio, where you get what you get, that is special, reminds you of old favorites, and introduces you to music you would never have heard otherwise. Sure, there are "random" functions, playlists, and AI algorithms to do similar things, but I've never found any of them to be as good at this as old fashioned terrestrial radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Haydn - Piano Trio in C major, Hob.XV:21

I haven't revisited the Haydn piano trios in a while, but I caught this one on the radio in the car this morning, and I'm glad I did! Now I'll have to revisit some more Haydn chamber music today.

It's great to have CDs and digital music so that you can listen to basically any piece you want at any time. But there is something about the radio, where you get what you get, that is special, reminds you of old favorites, and introduces you to music you would never have heard otherwise. Sure, there are "random" functions, playlists, and AI algorithms to do similar things, but I've never found any of them to be as good at this as old fashioned terrestrial radio.
                              I have to agree with you. I've ordered CD's based off of selections I've heard on the radio. Also, there are some good radio programs such as Performance Today and Exploring Music that introduce a lot of rarely heard music.

Comment

I've been listening to Wagner's A Major Piano Sonata (1832). It's quite obvious from whom he took inspiration. The outer movements remind me very much of Beethoven's Tempest Sonata while the middle movement seems Schubertian to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X