This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter
    It's a delight this piece as are Haydn's 'cello concertos...
    Well then, I think you're going to like this, a "hybrid HIP" set-up with a very cheeky 1st movement cadenza and blistering 3rd movement - hang on to your hats!

Comment

I see that British PM Boris Johnson is pushing for a return to imperial measures (ounces and pints, not colonial exploitation). I suddenly feel an urge for some Elgar.

And here's a bit of history about such measures:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-unfathomable
      Last edited by Quijote; 05-31-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
        I see that British PM Boris Johnson is pushing for a return to imperial measures (ounces and pints, not colonial exploitation). I suddenly feel an urge for some Elgar.

And here's a bit of history about such measures:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-unfathomable
        I've always preferred no.4 to no.1.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well then, I think you're going to like this, a "hybrid HIP" set-up with a very cheeky 1st movement cadenza and blistering 3rd movement - hang on to your hats!

Thanks for posting. That was a terrific performance!
          Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy
            Thanks for posting. That was a terrific performance!
            My pleasure, and glad you liked it.

Comment

Henri Duparc is the BBC's composer of the week - though his name is familiar to me, his music is not. Here is his "Aux etoiles"

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Liszt's Petrarch Sonnet no.123 played beautifully by Wilhelm Kempff

'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning I caught the last movement of Beethoven's Les Adieux (sp) Sonata on the radio. I had to ponder Quixote's question about what Beethoven intended as far sonority goes, whether he envisioned something more orchestral, etc. (sorry I am not wording this well). As I listened to this work I could not help but consider how pianistic the music is and that Beethoven was exploring the capacity of the upcoming pianos.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    This morning I caught the last movement of Beethoven's Les Adieux (sp) Sonata on the radio. I had to ponder Quixote's question about what Beethoven intended as far sonority goes, whether he envisioned something more orchestral, etc. (sorry I am not wording this well). As I listened to this work I could not help but consider how pianistic the music is and that Beethoven was exploring the capacity of the upcoming pianos.
                    This movement is the last thing I seriously worked on for the piano before I started learning the organ about twelve years ago. I never got it up to full speed before I had to leave it, but I was getting there. It is indeed very pianistic and so much fun to play. I hope I have the chance to return to it at some point and finally get it up to tempo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

This movement is the last thing I seriously worked on for the piano before I started learning the organ about twelve years ago. I never got it up to full speed before I had to leave it, but I was getting there. It is indeed very pianistic and so much fun to play. I hope I have the chance to return to it at some point and finally get it up to tempo.
                      Good luck with that! .

Comment

I was invited recently to a concert at my local conservatoire for a performance of Poulenc's Stabat Mater.

I have to admit I know practically nothing about Poulenc's music. I can say that I left the concert hall quite satisfied but would not say I am a convert.

Have a listen and see what you think!

Last edited by Quijote; 06-16-2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I was invited recently to a concert at my local conservatoire for a performance of Poulenc's Stabat Mater.

I have to admit I know practically nothing about Poulenc's music. I can say that I left the concert hall quite satisfied but would not say I am a convert.

Have a listen and see what you think!

I will have to check that out. Years ago a choir I was in performed Poulenc's Gloria and ever since I've been fascinated by his quirky music.

Comment

I heard this amazing performance of Beethoven Symphony #7 on the radio. I only caught the finale, which I thought was played at a brisk but perfect tempo. It felt very electrifying and I was positive that it was a recording of a live performance. Sure enough, it was. Here it is:
                            Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                              I heard this amazing performance of Beethoven Symphony #7 on the radio. I only caught the finale, which I thought was played at a brisk but perfect tempo. It felt very electrifying and I was positive that it was a recording of a live performance. Sure enough, it was. Here it is:
                              Thanks for posting that, very nice, very brisk; I like brisk.
                              I don't know what your take is on this symphony but I've always found it rather "oddball": its tonality, its orchestration, its "colour", for want of a better term.
                              What do you think, Zevy?

Comment

Thanks for posting that, very nice, very brisk; I like brisk.
                                I don't know what your take is on this symphony but I've always found it rather "oddball": its tonality, its orchestration, its "colour", for want of a better term.
                                What do you think, Zevy?
                                A little off the subject but I often wonder how much Mendelssohn was influenced by the 7th Symphony when he composed his own A Major symphony, the Italian.

Comment

Working...
                                X