This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter
    It's a delight this piece as are Haydn's 'cello concertos.
    Glad you liked that. For me, the 2nd movement is what touches me the most.
    That said, I can't help seeing Beethoven in my mind's eye snorting at some of the passages in the 1st and 3rd movements...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

A wonderful piece, even better than I remembered from a few years ago when last I listened to it. Despite how much I love Haydn, I am often surprised by the quality of his work when I come back to it after some time. I know the symphonies and string quartets and oratorios will be great, but I often fall into the trap of thinking Haydn's concertos and piano works are kind of 'second tier" compared to his other works, but then I listen again and they never are. This is a really good recording of the piece too.
      Glad you liked that.
      I'm discovering some real gems among his piano sonatas, too!

Comment

Anyway, we've reached the 5-page limit (6 pages now, mea culpa!) so time for the next installment of the "What are you listening to" thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          Anyway, we've reached the 5-page limit (6 pages now, mea culpa!) so time for the next installment of the "What are you listening to" thread?
          No we now have a 10 page limit! The (Haydn) C minor sonata is a favourite of mine.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The (Haydn) C minor sonata is a favourite of mine.
            Thanks for posting that, a very fine sonata indeed. In my mind's eye I see Beethoven thinking "Not bad, Papa, not bad at all."

Comment

Thanks for posting that, a very fine sonata indeed. In my mind's eye I see Beethoven thinking "Not bad, Papa, not bad at all."

Yes one of the Sturm und drang sonatas. From a similar period, the Symphony no.39 in G minor.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes one of the Sturm und drang sonatas. From a similar period, the Symphony no.39 in G minor.

Lovely, lively and HIP, right up my street! Hogwood?

Comment

Lovely, lively and HIP, right up my street! Hogwood?
                  No, Pinnock and The English Concert.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

No, Pinnock and The English Concert.
                    Well, I love it. F#. Wonder what pitch Hogwood takes? Let me check... Same.
                    I prefer the Pinnock. Here's the Hogwood:

Comment

Well, I love it. F#. Wonder what pitch Hogwood takes? Let me check... Same.
                      I prefer the Pinnock. Here's the Hogwood:

I agree with you - see what you make of the Adam Fischer version which I think is at pitch?

'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree with you - see what you make of the Adam Fischer version which I think is at pitch?

Yes, at pitch. I've only listened to the 1st movement. I found the Fischer a bit messy to be honest, with rushed passages in the woodwind (around the 2'30" mark - like ducks quacking around out of time) and exaggerated string phrasing, almost a bit Andre Rieu. Otherwise, yes, nice and lively and that'll carry the work in most cases.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 05-23-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I wanted to post this before but got distracted...
                          I've found the Christmas present I'll be offering myself this year: the Virtual Haydn. Check out these extensive CD booklet notes:
                          https://www.naxos.com/sharedfiles/bo...NBD0001-04.pdf

Comment

I wanted to post this before but got distracted...
                            I've found the Christmas present I'll be offering myself this year: the Virtual Haydn. Check out these extensive CD booklet notes:
                            https://www.naxos.com/sharedfiles/bo...NBD0001-04.pdf
                            Amazing, but why don't they just record in the real rooms as many of those are still in existence?
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Amazing, but why don't they just record in the real rooms as many of those are still in existence?
                              Yes, I wondered that, too. Still, I'm going to get this set and ponder that question later.

Comment

Reading through the CD booklet I'm prompted to post this wonderful piano sonata by Haydn (Sonata in E Flat Major, Hob XVI 52), his last ever for the piano. It was composed in 1794 and finally published by Artaria in Vienna in 1798. I wonder what Beethoven made of it - he would have had a copy, surely?

Comment

Working...
                                X