Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering Antonio Lucio Vivaldi, (born March 4, 1678, Venice, Republic of Venice [Italy]—died July 28, 1741, Vienna,

https://youtu.be/SL0rT09hVFg
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Allez, something Ukrainian in suppoort of that brave nation:
      Mykola Lysenko. Ukrainian Suite: No. 1. Prelude
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R1jex4dCA4

Comment

https://youtu.be/CdwUHy9LyZM?t=128

Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 30, Op. 109 (1820)

​​​​​​​
        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Having just watched Ken Russell's excellent Song of Summer again, the film about Eric Fenby and Delius, I'm listening to the piece by the same name.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bach for Babies....

https://youtu.be/gGryrMN5vWY

Comment

Further to my ploughing through the Beethoven conversation books, I've come across a work that hitherto I was not at all familiar with: Piano Variations in F major, WoO 75.
              The theme that Beethoven uses is from an opera by Peter von Winter (1754-1825), composer and Court Kappellmeister in Munich. The opera is called Das unterbrochene Opferfest and was first performed in the Karntnertor Theatre in Vienna in 1796.

Last edited by Quijote; 03-29-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

The Great Gate of Kyiv

Last edited by Quijote; 04-07-2022, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Wagner's Parsifal without words

'Man know thyself'

Comment

@Peter: I was wanting to watch Parsifal this weekend (I have a DVD recording) but ended up without the time to do it. (Of course you need plenty of time available to watch a Wagner Opera.) The local radio has played the prelude and Good Friday Spell over the past week.

Comment

Comment

This rarely heard gem by Respighi - beautiful particularly from 8'36

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          This rarely heard gem by Respighi - beautiful particularly from 8'36
                          Don't know why but the Respighi piece reminded me of the Intermezzo from Pietro Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana. Actually, I do know why: Maisky's 2.75cm vibrato on nearly every note. Here's the Intermezzo:

Comment

Well here's a rarity, for me at least: Haydn Piano Concerto in D (with Emanuel Ax and the Lucerne Festival Contemporary Orchestra).

Comment

[QUOTE=Quijote;n118139]Well here's a rarity, for me at least: Haydn Piano Concerto in D (with Emanuel Ax and the Lucerne Festival Contemporary Orchestra).

It's a delight this piece as are Haydn's 'cello concertos. I'm also listening to a rarity- Delius Piano concerto.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                                Well here's a rarity, for me at least: Haydn Piano Concerto in D (with Emanuel Ax and the Lucerne Festival Contemporary Orchestra).

A wonderful piece, even better than I remembered from a few years ago when last I listened to it. Despite how much I love Haydn, I am often surprised by the quality of his work when I come back to it after some time. I know the symphonies and string quartets and oratorios will be great, but I often fall into the trap of thinking Haydn's concertos and piano works are kind of 'second tier" compared to his other works, but then I listen again and they never are. This is a really good recording of the piece too.

Comment

Working...
                                X