Sanitation and heating in Beethoven's Vienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanitation and heating in Beethoven's Vienna

Bit of a "left-field" question, and no doubt a short-lived thread topic, but I was wondering about sanitation and heating in Vienna during Beethoven's time there.
    I remember reading that Beethoven often spent his summers outside of Vienna because of the stench and dust. He was a privileged citizen in that respect.
    Does that mean there was no sewage system at the time? For their morning "business", did they just throw it all out onto the streets or was there some sort of piping/canalisation to collect the "morning waste"? A septic tank in the foundations of each residential building? And for the heating: did each apartment have its own fireplace or was there some sort of communal "furnace" for the entire block during winter? I ask this as I'm reading the Beethoven conversation books and imagining Beethoven's everyday life, the sausages he ate, the beer he drank, and so on. I know we have a mixed bag of experts on this forum, are there any urban historians out there who could help? Thanks in advance.

I found this which is very useful https://www.wien.gv.at/english/envir...rn-period.html. Perhaps his apartments were heated with wood burning stoves? Not sure about that, but you might find out more by contacting the people here https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/brennpunkt
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well thank you that, Peter, quite helpful, really. So it would seem then that the sewage system in Vienna in Beethoven's time was not too rudimentary. Still, probably not developed enough to prevent a stench during the summer months, which was no doubt one reason why he chose to vacation in the countryside. As to the dust as reported in the literature, they didn't have metalled roadways (not sure if that is the right term) so I can well imagine the mud in winter and dust in summer. Life was surely hard in those days, the good old days...

Comment

I do have an idea of the stench of an undeveloped city in the heat: many years ago I backpacked across Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal and can recall today that particular "perfume" of sewage in many of the cities.
        And I'll mention another thing - and I'm not trrying to blow my own trumpet here - I do seem to have a good nose! When I visit a new city it really does seem to have its own "perfume". I have no idea why that might be. The effect wears off after a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          I do have an idea of the stench of an undeveloped city in the heat: many years ago I backpacked across Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal and can recall today that particular "perfume" of sewage in many of the cities.
          And I'll mention another thing - and I'm not trrying to blow my own trumpet here - I do seem to have a good nose! When I visit a new city it really does seem to have its own "perfume". I have no idea why that might be. The effect wears off after a couple of days.
          Indeed, reminds me of the scene in 'Room for a view' - 1'20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU47...=RamziChinoune
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Indeed, reminds me of the scene in 'Room for a view' - 1'20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU47...=RamziChinoune
            "The smell. A true Florentine smell. Inhale, my dear. Deeper! Every city, let me tell you, has its own smell." Absolutely true !!

Comment

Here in Vienna during Beethoven's time heating was made by using wood burning stoves. Depending on how rich you were the more elaborate the stoves. I live in Vienna's Heiligenstadt and the museums for Beethoven and others here do either have an actual stove on display or maybe one in a drawing of what the interior looked like back then. If you Google "wood burning stoves in 19th century Vienna" you'll see some lovely stove examples.
              "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Also try https://www.drittemanntour.at/en/the...system/history

Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                  Here in Vienna during Beethoven's time heating was made by using wood burning stoves. Depending on how rich you were the more elaborate the stoves. I live in Vienna's Heiligenstadt and the museums for Beethoven and others here do either have an actual stove on display or maybe one in a drawing of what the interior looked like back then. If you Google "wood burning stoves in 19th century Vienna" you'll see some lovely stove examples.
                  Thanks, Hollywood!

Comment

And thanks, Fidelio!

Comment

Working...
                    X