New Beethoven film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Beethoven film

Does anyone know about the 2020 film 'Louis Van Beethoven'? It is in German but I wondered about the subtitles as the reviews suggest they aren't in English despite this trailer!

'Man know thyself'

yes, I had seen it as it came in German TV. Usually you can edit whether you want to see something with subtitles or not ...

Comment

Was the film any good? I understand it focuses only on the early and last years. Regarding subtitles, the comments about the dvd suggest there are no English subtitles.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

The time is well presented but I dont like how Beethoven was desribed as a kind of manic tyrann in his family and with his nephew when in Gneixendorf . The youth part was good.

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
          The time is well presented but I dont like how Beethoven was desribed as a kind of manic tyrann in his family and with his nephew when in Gneixendorf . The youth part was good.
          Maybe they were conveying the nephew's viewpoint? Beethoven was very hard on Karl and we know this contributed to his suicide attempt shortly before the trip to Gneixendorf.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Judging by the trailer, the film looks as though it's a reworking of the "Amadeus" model. As it's meant for general consumption I wouldn't think there'll be too much for the connoisseur. I've sent the link around to my friends as some are sure to want to watch it on the subscription platforms - even if just for the music.

But the formula seems to go something like this:

Troubled composer falls out with family, friends, establishment;
            Pressure from family, colleagues and patrons to express his 'genius';
            Quarrels between those who don't understand the composer and the composer's insistence upon own aesthetic;
            Advocates remain loyal to the composer, while others express envy and resentment;
            Fraught relationships with females; either too many or too few; nobody really 'marriageable'
            Nobody 'understands' the composer, who is contemptuous of authority (because HE is the real authority);
            Familial stress and excessive demands/control;
            Authority figures enter the life of the composer, only to be revealed as actually inferior to the composer;
            Sanitized world view of the period, with beautiful costumes, lush 'Technicolor' and production design;

We've seen it all before!!

Comment

Yes but since the film focuses on the early years and the last year, the music choice is going to be limited and miss out all the great works of the middle period.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                Yes but since the film focuses on the early years and the last year, the music choice is going to be limited and miss out all the great works of the middle period.
                I think this concern might be limited to connoisseurs.

Comment

Does anyone know about the 2020 film 'Louis Van Beethoven'? It is in German but I wondered about the subtitles as the reviews suggest they aren't in English despite this trailer!

I haven't seen the film yet and I've read middling reviews about it. I don't care, I'm a Beethoven fanboy and I'll watch it regardless!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post

I haven't seen the film yet and I've read middling reviews about it. I don't care, I'm a Beethoven fanboy and I'll watch it regardless!
                    OK - I'll let you test it out for me! Not speaking German I just wondered if the subtitles are in English as the reviews imply they are not.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

OK - I'll let you test it out for me! Not speaking German I just wondered if the subtitles are in English as the reviews imply they are not.
                      Will do!

Comment

If you catch it on a streaming service like Netflix I think you'll find subtitling is available. And if it plays on free-to-air television the same will apply. I'm sure they wouldn't limit audiences by a single-language exposure.

It would hurt my feelings if I wasn't able to have it in English as I'd feel devalued and disrespected!! I'd be bewildered and confused by it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X