"Tenth" by B.Cooper performed on piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Tenth" by B.Cooper performed on piano

I made such a surprising and amazing discovery - B.Cooper's Version of his "Tenth" performed with piano!!!! I think it is even better then the orchestra version: https://youtu.be/-cLJ4T9wTRU what do you think?

I haven't listened to the orchestral version in a long time, but the piano arrangement makes the opening sound even more like the slow movement of the Pathetique. I can't blame Barry Cooper as one of the sketches does actually sound like that!

I once attended a lecture given by the composer and Beethoven expert, Robert Simpson, and I had the opportunity to ask him if he was ever tempted to do what Cooper had done with the surviving sketches of the Tenth symphony. He replied that the sketches were so few that there really was nothing to work with. He added, with an enigmatic smile that "there was quite a lot of money to be made out of such reconstructions."

I don't think Barry Cooper topped the charts though.

Comment

The Andante goes beyond the Pathetique, not too mention the fantastic and wild Allegro!!! After listening to this I felt drawn listening to op. 134 from the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post

The Andante goes beyond the Pathetique, not too mention the fantastic and wild Allegro!!! After listening to this I felt drawn listening to op. 134 from the same time...
        I have one extraordinary recording of op. 134 where the piece is played by one pianist. He plays one part in the left stereo channel and the other in the right channel.

It doesn't work very well when listening normally, but by using the balance control, you can isolate one channel from the other and pick up a lot more information, especially if you can't read a score and are totally dependent on gramophone/CD recordings. (Obviously, I'm referring to myself!)

Comment

Working...
        X