No announcement yet.

Beethoven's Late String Quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sibelius did indeed live a long life, 92 years I believe! I read he was considered one of the 'chief symphonic composers of the 20th century,' and had written seven symphonies. Upon reading about Bartok 'his six string quartets are among the most important string quartets after those of LV Beethoven.' Haven't found anything on 'creepy Bartok in America.' I do know he had an illness and spent his last years of his life here eventually dying of leukemia.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

P
      Originally posted by urtextmeister:
      I'm glad this topic was brought up. I am fascinated by the late quartets. I agree that they are beautiful and sublime, but I also believe they are the strangest and most puzzling pieces of music ever written.
      Yes, there are moments of serenity and spirituality, but they are often interrupted by humurous passages that could only be described as grotesque. I am thinking right now of op. 131, op. 135, Grosse Fuge op. 133.
      I think at the heart of Beethoven was conflict and attempts to resolve conflict. These quartets take conflict to a new level. The big question is: does Beethoven resolve the conflict by the last note of the piece?
      The late quartets are at times serene and beautiful, but aren't they also disturbing to anyone but me?
      I think that the conflict "in heart" was over by the energy draining works that he struggled with just before! The ninth Symphony was a conflict with humanity, the great mass with God himself. With those massive pices of music thrown over board he
      "sets sail for the blessed Isles (Amalie)".
      Just a thought?

Comment

Working...
      X