Ninth's adagio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninth's adagio

Here's a question about the form of the adagio of the Ninth symphony. Near the end of the movement an estrident fanfare with horns and trombones is played twice. Does inmediately after the first appearance of this fanfare start the fourth variation on the main theme? The variation is interrupted by the second appearance of the fanfare. Does the variation go on after this second fanfare, or the coda is what follows?

[This message has been edited by chopithoven (edited October 13, 2003).]

Grove regards the fanfare as the start of the coda, I'm not so sure. In any case I don't think the passage in between the 2 fanfare sections can be regarded as a separate variation.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Grove regards the fanfare as the start of the coda, I'm not so sure. In any case I don't think the passage in between the 2 fanfare sections can be regarded as a separate variation.

If what Grove says is true then we have three variations, two appearances of the secondary (andante moderato) theme, and a coda, right? But why the passage between the two fanfares would not be another variation? I would tend to think it is not, but I'm not so sure.

[This message has been edited by chopithoven (edited October 15, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        If what Grove says is true then we have three variations, two appearances of the secondary (andante moderato) theme, and a coda, right? But why the passage between the two fanfares would not be another variation? I would tend to think it is not, but I'm not so sure.

[This message has been edited by chopithoven (edited October 15, 2003).]

It is a decoration of the theme but not strictly a variation as it is too brief.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

It is a decoration of the theme but not strictly a variation as it is too brief.

So, a coda?

Comment

Working...
          X