• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page Horn Sonata Op.17

Available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Hmmm, I am not sure that the French Horn is an appropriate accompaniment with the fortepiano - to my ears anyway, the scoring for the Horn seemed to me to be weak.
    I loved the scoring for the fortepiano.
    Mozart was of course a master of the Horn accompaniment, and Wagner explored the full potential of the Horn.

I would be much more interested in hearing the Cello version of Opus 17.

[This message has been edited by Frohlich (edited October 14, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Frohlich:

Hmmm, I am not sure that the French Horn is an appropriate accompaniment with the fortepiano - to my ears anyway, the scoring for the Horn seemed to me to be weak.
      I loved the scoring for the fortepiano.
      Mozart was of course a master of the Horn accompaniment, and Wagner explored the full potential of the Horn.

I would be much more interested in hearing the Cello version of Opus 17.

(I've had to re-register as my old details are no longer being recognised by the system.)

Well I suppose the horn is not the first instrument that comes to mind as an accompaniment for the piano, but I think Mozart's ability with wind instruments is sometimes over played. He never wrote a sonata such as op17 so who's to say, but I will never take the universally accepted position that Mozart's Wind Quintet is superior to Beethoven's, I believe the opposite is clearly the case.

I doubt you would be interested in the cello version as the cello part is virtually identical to that of the horn's. It is not a rewrite.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble
      birth..." - Rod Corkin

Comment

You can get the cello version of the horn sonta very easy. In fact i got mines from whsmiths. I think strings normally go with the piano better than and brass instruments for some reason

PS: on a other note it would be cool if a worthy composer did a tripple concerto with a harpsichord a old piano and a modern piano.
        I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Working...
        X