Violin Concerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Violin Concerts

Anne-Sophie Mutter was a while ago interviewed what would she ask to Beethoven, if possible. She answered to ask him for a second violin concert.
    So I would agree!

For me and I think for the most of you, Op.61 is the all time best violin concert ever. I wouldn’t know any other one, that could top it. I must say that I know by far not all VC thru the times and componists. Nevertheless I write you down a „rank list“ of my personally favorites. Of course this list is not rigidly (except Op.61) and changes a bit from time to time. I’m very pleased to know your most favored works to increase my horizon!

1) Beethoven, Op.61
    2) Bruch, Op.44, VC No.2
    3) Mendelson, Op.64
    4) Brahms, Op.77
    5) Bruch, Op.26, VC No.1
    6) Bruch, Op.58, VC No.3
    7) Mozart, VC No.4
    8) Paganini, VC No.1
    9) Sibelius, Op.47
    10) Tschaikowski, Op.35

Maybe a bit confusing for some of you. Three times Bruch before Mozart! Sorry about that and indeed a little tending in
    this case to late romantics is obviously...

Kind regards
    pastorali

=====================================
    Von Herzen - möge es wieder zu Herzen gehen.
    L.v.B.

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Anne-Sophie Mutter was a while ago interviewed what would she ask to Beethoven, if possible. She answered to ask him for a second violin concert.
    So I would agree!

For me and I think for the most of you, Op.61 is the all time best violin concert ever. I wouldn’t know any other one, that could top it. I must say that I know by far not all VC thru the times and componists. Nevertheless I write you down a „rank list“ of my personally favorites. Of course this list is not rigidly (except Op.61) and changes a bit from time to time. I’m very pleased to know your most favored works to increase my horizon!

1) Beethoven, Op.61
    2) Bruch, Op.44, VC No.2
    3) Mendelson, Op.64
    4) Brahms, Op.77
    5) Bruch, Op.26, VC No.1
    6) Bruch, Op.58, VC No.3
    7) Mozart, VC No.4
    8) Paganini, VC No.1
    9) Sibelius, Op.47
    10) Tschaikowski, Op.35

Maybe a bit confusing for some of you. Three times Bruch before Mozart! Sorry about that and indeed a little tending in
    this case to late romantics is obviously...

Kind regards
    pastorali

L.v.B.
    I would put the Sibelius higher, somewhere near the top, and also include Bach's Concerto in E and Double Concerto on the list. I agree Beethoven's belongs at the top.

Chaszz

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Yes indeed a 2nd violin concerto would have been interesting - On the other hand we can't complain at the one he gave us! The 2 violin romances are also delightful.

Your ratings do indeed reveal a preference for the romantic era - do you know the Dvorak or the Saint-Saens violin concertos? How about Bach? - his E major concerto is lovely as is the double violin concerto.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        I would put the Sibelius higher, somewhere near the top, and also include Bach's Concerto in E and Double Concerto on the list. I agree Beethoven's belongs at the top.

Chaszz

Your post coincided with mine Chaszz and we both recommended the same Bach works! I agree Beethoven takes top spot but I don't agree about the Sibelius, never been too fond of it.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Yes indeed a 2nd violin concerto would have been interesting - On the other hand we can't complain at the one he gave us! The 2 violin romances are also delightful.

Your ratings do indeed reveal a preference for the romantic era - do you know the Dvorak or the Saint-Saens violin concertos? How about Bach? - his E major concerto is lovely as is the double violin concerto.

Yes the Bach concertos! I thought about them while posting , also some stuff of Vivaldi. I like it too, but in my feeling these are more something like string quartets. I mean in kind of more playing together, then having two parts typically for later VC. Isn't it true L.v.B. made also on this field a turning point?

Kind regards
          pastorali

L.v.B.

Comment

I must agree with Chaszzz about Bach and also Beethoven's Violin Romances are wonderful. Of course Beethoven's one and only Violin Concerto does belong at the top of the list. It was an intriguing question that Anne Mutter was asked if she could ask Beethoven any question what would it be. Maybe we should run that through our members and see what they would say if they could ask Beethoven any question that they want, what would it be? I have to think about it for a while! Hmmmmmmm! Possibly who exactly is the Immortal Beloved?

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited October 09, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited October 09, 2003).]
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X