Piano Concerto Version of Violin Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto Version of Violin Concerto

Can anybody say more about the piano version of the violin concert? Did see it in the catalogue of naxos (No. 8.554288) Is this a work with an Op. or a WoO?

regards
    pastorali

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Can anybody say more about the piano version of the violin concert? Did see it in the catalogue of naxos (No. 8.554288) Is this a work with an Op. or a WoO?

regards
    pastorali
    Somewhere in my vinyl archives I have a recording of this conversion. I quite liked it and it does have an interesting timpani and piano duet in the cadenza of the first movement. It is not published with an Opus number so I imagine it may be among the WoO numbers (not really sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:

regards
      pastorali
      Biamonte give it a different number (441 vs. 432) than the violin version because it was published later, but he goes on to say it was published with the same opus number (61) and Grove also gave it 61, so I am guessing that it is Opus 61 also. I really like it too, although I must say that the violin part was written so characteristically for the violin that even B had trouble making it work perfectly as a piano piece.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited October 04, 2003).]
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have always known the piano version as Op.61a.
        The composer/publisher Clementi thought the Violin concerto would receive more performances in England if it were arranged as a piano concerto. Beethoven didn't alter the orchestral part and only slightly the solo part to include left hand accompanimant figuration. The most interesting aspect of the piano version is the cadenzas which are highly original and include the use of timpani - they were later arranged for violin and timpani and as such I think they should be used in performances of the original Violin version.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          I have always known the piano version as Op.61a.
          The composer/publisher Clementi thought the Violin concerto would receive more performances in England if it were arranged as a piano concerto. Beethoven didn't alter the orchestral part and only slightly the solo part to include left hand accompanimant figuration. The most interesting aspect of the piano version is the cadenzas which are highly original and include the use of timpani - they were later arranged for violin and timpani and as such I think they should be used in performances of the original Violin version.
          I believe Clemeti commented so someone that the piano version was written is his request 'without additional keys'. Thus perhaps Beethoven intended, or had instructed, to keep the solo part as near to the original as possible.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X