WoO 158.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoO 158.

Surprised to know that there are Beethoven pieces in portuguese (I'm Brazilian) I decided to investigate where could I find recording of those pieces only knowing the WoOpus number from a catalog. After much struggling I found the mp3 for n.11 and 12 of that surprising folksong arrangement.
    Now I'm after the score, and I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a copy of those pieces or know of a site that contains it?
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

I have had a dreadful time trying to find any of the sheet music for Beethoven's folksong settings,to date I have found only 21 songs, Scotish ,Irish and English .I have to assume that there must be the Complete Works of LvB some where but where ever that may be I have no Idea!It is not in my local Library or at the Music School of the University of Victoria nor is it at the Royal Conservatory of Music.
    A lot of these songs were set for a trio but I have only ever found music for the voice and piano.
    Please tell me what WoOpus you are looking for and the Portugese titles and I shall try to find them for you in an old book my public library has called "Folksong Settings By Master Composers".I would aslo look in every Vocal selections for Tenor Bass and Baritone.You might luck out and find one.
    If you ever happen across WoOpus 153 ,12 Irish songs these are what I am looking for,and especially no 9"Oh would I were but that Sweet Linnet"
    Good luck in your hunt.
    Muriel
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Grove's says that 12 Irish songs are Opus 255 but Peter and Rod say that 12 Irish songs are WoOpus 153,who is correct?
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        Grove's says that 12 Irish songs are Opus 255 but Peter and Rod say that 12 Irish songs are WoOpus 153,who is correct?
        Opus 255?!! The Grove must have a print error!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

It seems that WoO 153 is 20 Irish songs
          I must have the wrong no ,the series I'm searching for are 12 Irish songs,what WoO could they be ? I found my information about the Groves no. on an Angel recording .Notes by Karl Schumann say that Beethoven wrote his first(just how many sets of Irish songs are there) ? in 1813 .Is there an opus 255?
          what is it?
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Ms. Spaceray,
            WoO 153 is 20 irish songs. If there IS an Op 255, I would certainly like to get my hands on it!

------------------
            Adieu,
            Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Adieu,
            Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mr Grill,
              I was wrong 12 Irish songs is WoO 154 but the Works lists I have looked at do not identify each song.Do you own DG complete LvB volume 17 I think it is ,perhaps you could look for me to see if WoO 154 contains
              "oh Would I were but that Sweet Linnet."
              Even so the music for all or indeed ANY of the Folksong settings seems to be as rare as hens teeth.
              Why is this?
              They are all brilliant settings.
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Mr Grill,
                I was wrong 12 Irish songs is WoO 154 but the Works lists I have looked at do not identify each song.Do you own DG complete LvB volume 17 I think it is ,perhaps you could look for me to see if WoO 154 contains
                "oh Would I were but that Sweet Linnet."
                Even so the music for all or indeed ANY of the Folksong settings seems to be as rare as hens teeth.
                Why is this?
                They are all brilliant settings.
                Ms. spaceray,
                Yes, indeed, they are quite brilliant. I suspect the public has no taste for the glories of yesteryear. As you are now aware, the WoO 154 does indeed contain that which you asked about. Enjoy.

------------------
                Adieu,
                Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Adieu,
                Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have had a dreadful time trying to find any of the sheet music for Beethoven's folksong settings,to date I have found only 21 songs, Scotish ,Irish and English .I have to assume that there must be the Complete Works of LvB some where but where ever that may be I have no Idea!It is not in my local Library or at the Music School of the University of Victoria nor is it at the Royal Conservatory of Music.
                  A lot of these songs were set for a trio but I have only ever found music for the voice and piano.
                  Please tell me what WoOpus you are looking for and the Portugese titles and I shall try to find them for you in an old book my public library has called "Folksong Settings By Master Composers".I would aslo look in every Vocal selections for Tenor Bass and Baritone.You might luck out and find one.
                  If you ever happen across WoOpus 153 ,12 Irish songs these are what I am looking for,and especially no 9"Oh would I were but that Sweet Linnet"
                  Good luck in your hunt.
                  Muriel
                  Thanks for the encouragement, it seems that no one cares for beautiful unknown Beethoven pieces ...
                  I'll still keep on looking, once I find it I can make it available for people also trying to find those sets of lovely music.
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

These folksong settings are great fun to sing.Of the 21 pieces that I have found so far my favorite is a song called"The Deserter's Meditation."Words are by Curran?.
                    The soldier quaffs a few before being hanged.
                    It has a delightful, rollicking and brilliant Beethovian acompaniment.I wonder how one determines whether these songs might be set as duets with a trio or otherwise.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

How interesting... I'm brazilian too (Oi Rutradelusasa!). The title of this folksong is "Seus lindos olhos" (Your beautiful eyes) WoO 158a. It's the 12th song of the setting. Isn't there somebody who have Beethoven Complete Edition, and that could comment this song?

Comment

I found an URL where we can listen to the 1st minute of this song. http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/a...electionId=592

It's a long list, searching for "Olhos" facilitates.

Comment

WoO 158a music found

To those looking for scores and parts to the 23 Songs of Various Nationalities, WoO 158a: Breitkopf & Haertel has them:
                          Beethoven, L. v.: Neues
                          Volksliederheft aus WoO 158. 23 Tiroler,
                          Schweizer, schwedische, spanische und
                          andere Volksweisen für hohe (mittlere)
                          Stimme und Klaviertrio
                          (G. Schünemann)
                          Partitur EB 6974 23,––
                          Streicherstimmen EB 6975 11,50

I'm still on the lookout for 158b and c....

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                            Opus 255?!! The Grove must have a print error!
                            No, it isn't.
                            Any opus number over 135 is a kind of phantasy product.

The first three, 136 (Glorreiche augenblick), 137 (quintet fugue) and 138 (Leonore I) have been added to the canon, as these were published very soon after Beethoven's death as such (Leonore I found among his papers), with a couple of other works (the 3 piano quartets e.g.) which were published without such a new opus number (btw, the quartets WoO 36 were first published 1830, but were assigned opus 150 sometime in the mid 1860s).

But, even some works published by the composer himself without such a number (e.g. all variation sets before opus 34 and 35) were afterward re-published with an opus number, e.g. the variations on a Russian dance from Das Waldmärchen by Wranitzky (WoO 71) as opus 182, or the variations on La Stessa (WoO 73) as op.185.
                            Unfortunately I've never seen a list of these opus numbers over 135 and I am doubtful whether such a thing exists even, as I have never seen any reference anywhere (contrary to [genuine] opus/WoO/Hess/Biamonti-numbers, and despite being used in Grove's and partly in MGG1). I seem to recall the highest number I came across is 307 or so.

Btw, some opus numbers given by Beethoven were changed afterwards. A good example is opus 24, now the Frühling sonate, but originally assigned to Die Geschöpfe des Prometheus, now 43. Originally the Frühling was combined with violin sonata no.4 in one set as opus 23, therefore opus 23/2. However, the two violin sonatas were printed in two different sizes, one in landscape, the other in portrait, hence the Spring-sonata was given 24, even although the piano-reduction of the Creatures had been published already as opus 24 !.
                            Leonore was given opus number 72, but Fidelio 88.
                            Last edited by Roehre; 02-01-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

To the original questions: in the new Beethoven Ausgabe (Henle Verlag) these songs haven't been published yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X