Clear All

Authentic page - Trio for Fortepiano, 'cello and Clarinet or Violin,

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

I notice there are still references to op10 below the link graphics to the files. Also please note that the Allegro con brio mp3 is missing the repeat in this performance.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I notice there are still references to op10 below the link graphics to the files. Also please note that the Allegro con brio mp3 is missing the repeat in this performance.

Sorry about that must be the heat!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Sorry about that must be the heat!

Might I also add that although the Allegro con brio may be missing the repeat and this is a crime (it is observed in the Castle Trio version), at least this recording actually has a hint of real 'con brio' about it, not something one usually experiences with performances of this piece.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 13, 2003).]

Comment

Thankyou Rod,

I very much enjoyed listening to these charming and delightful pieces that exudes winsome grace and energy, and is enlivened throughout by Beethoven's youthful Master spirit and perfectionism.
          By now Beethoven had become so successful as a composer that most of his works were being written in response to commissions.

Wunderschon,
          Tschus!
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Thankyou Rod,

I very much enjoyed listening to these charming and delightful pieces that exudes winsome grace and energy, and is enlivened throughout by Beethoven's youthful Master spirit and perfectionism.
            By now Beethoven had become so successful as a composer that most of his works were being written in response to commissions.

Wunderschon,
            Tschus!
            Well, these are pretty good performances Amalie and the period instruments add that extra edge and colour. Op11 is unique in B's output as it is his only multi movement work to include variation on a theme not of his own making. Apparently Beethoven was considering writing a replacement movement to these variations, but nothing materialisd from this.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 15, 2003).]

Comment

Listening to it now. Just wondering why does the piano sound so funny?
              I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
                Listening to it now. Just wondering why does the piano sound so funny?
                Er, you're joking right? The piano with the Allegretto variations is based on a 1790's German model, the Allegro I'm not sure, the CD gives no info. I would say it is a later instrument, maybe with an English/French action, as the tone sounds a little heavier than typical Viennese actioned pianos.

------------------

Comment

Just bought a new computer that doesn't crash every ten minutes. For the first time, I've been able to hear Rod's Mp3s.
                  Great stuff!

Michael

Comment

Well the painos sounds funny compared to all the ones i have heard. I am not a expert on pianos fomr 1800s so you most likely right lol
                    I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
                      Well the painos sounds funny compared to all the ones i have heard. I am not a expert on pianos fomr 1800s so you most likely right lol
                      Mr. Alex,
                      Perhaps "funny" is not the correct choice of words. "Oddly different" may be a better phrase. As Mr. Rod would explain, the purpose of this exercise to to familiarize us with the sounds of the music as it would have probably been heard when it was written. The pianos (fortepianos or pianofortes, actually) of this era were a totally different instrument compared with that of, say, the mid 19th century onwards. The frame is wooden rather than iron, and the strings are gut (correct, Rod?) rather than bronze or steel, thus the sound is quite alien to us. There were innumerable other differences also, such as the composition and construction of the hammers, and the pedals etc.. So we listen, we learn, hopefully we come to enjoy.

------------------
                      Adieu,
                      Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Adieu,
                      Franz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                        [B] Er, you're joking right? The piano with the Allegretto variations is based on a 1790's German model, the Allegro I'm not sure, the CD gives no info. I would say it is a later instrument, maybe with an English/French action, as the tone sounds a little heavier than typical Viennese actioned pianos.

Rod,
                        Just listening to BBC Radio 3, this am.
                        To my delight they played Beethoven's brilliant and charming Sonata, Opus 28, on fortepiano, the type of piano of course that Beethoven played on.
                        The Andante consists of unpretentious romance like themes, like an exercise playfully developing unified themes.
                        I believe this was for a long time Beethoven's favourite piece, and one that he himself was very fond of playing.

Frohlich musik!

Mr.Fixit,
                        Here is a very interesting page on the background of the piano and pianos for Beethoven. I am not a pianist myself, but it makes fascinating reading.
                        http://www.frugalfun.com/pianohistory.html

Regards
                        Amalie
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Grillparzer:
                          The frame is wooden rather than iron, and the strings are gut (correct, Rod?)
                          No they were still metal, I don't think you'd get much sound from a hammer hitting a gut wire!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                            [BRod,
                            Just listening to BBC Radio 3, this am.
                            To my delight they played Beethoven's brilliant and charming Sonata, Opus 28, on fortepiano, the type of piano of course that Beethoven played on.
                            The Andante consists of unpretentious romance like themes, like an exercise playfully developing unified themes.
                            I believe this was for a long time Beethoven's favourite piece, and one that he himself was very fond of playing.

Frohlich musik!
                            [/B]
                            Yes the andante was a big favourite of Beethoven's, perhaps we will have this movement when we get to op28 at the mp3 page. I'm glad it seems the days (not so long ago) when scholars said that it was impossible to play Beethoven properly on the fortepiano have been forgotten by pianists!

------------------

Comment

Maybe i could of phased it a bit better but i dont tihnk there is anything wrong with being odd or funny. I had no ideas painos used to sound so diffrent. I wouldnt mind playing around with on like that. Anyway i forgot to mention i do like the peice of music.

Comment

Working...
                              X