John Suchet trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Suchet trilogy

Has anyone out there read the above trilogy? I'd be interested to hear any comments as I'm 2/3 of the way through it.

I've reached the part (1812) where Beethoven supposedly is having a fling with Antonie Brentano (his Immortal Beloved, Suchet prefers Eternal!) during his brief stay in Prague on route to Teplitz (meet Goethe) and Karlsbad (for the "waters").

I'm finding it rather verbose and irritatingly repetitive. There is endless talk of his "destiny" as the heir to Mozart and the relationships with his brothers are described in a way that suggests there was nothing but contempt. Can this be true?

To be fair, Suchet openly admits he is no "expert" and his passionate enthusiasm for the composer shines through. It is an "imaginative" biography so he has taken some liberties with the facts. The problem for the reader is knowing which "facts" he has taken liberies with!!

This has come up before Bernard so I think this link will help give you some ideas! http://www.gyrix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000478.html
    I haven't read the books but I imagine that most people who were interested enough to buy them would be familiar with the facts.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X