No announcement yet.

Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“I love straightforwardness and uprightness, and believe that the artist ought not to be belittled; for alas! brilliant as fame is externally, it is always the privilege of the artist to be Jupiter’s guest on Olympus all the time. Unfortunately vulgar humanity drags him down only too often and too rudely from the pure upper ether.”
    June 5, 1822: to C.F. P., music publisher, in Leipsic, when treating with him touching a complete edition of his works.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

"Who can sufficiently thank a great poet--
      the most valuable jewel of a nation".

~ Beethoven ~

Comment

"Men are not only together when
        they are with each other;
        even the distant and the dead
        live with us"

~ Beethoven ~

(To Therese Malfatti, to whom in the country he sent, Schlegel's translation of Shakespeare)

Comment

"There ought to be but one large art warehouse in the world, to which the artist could carry his art-works, and from which he could carry away whatever he needed. As it is, one must be half a tradesman."

-- Ludwig van Beethoven, January, 1801

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            "There ought to be but one large art warehouse in the world, to which the artist could carry his art-works, and from which he could carry away whatever he needed. As it is, one must be half a tradesman."

Joy, I notice you have unsubscribed from my Handel yahoo group. I provide a free art warehouse and yet people will not feed from it!!??

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

“As regards me, great heavens! my dominion is in the air; the tones whirl like the wind, and often there is a whirl in my soul.”
              While composing Beethoven frequently thought of an object, although he often laughed at musical delineation and scolded about petty things of the sort.
              1815, to Neate, while promenading with him in Baden and talking about the “Pastoral” symphony.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Joy, I notice you have unsubscribed from my Handel yahoo group. I provide a free art warehouse and yet people will not feed from it!!??

I'll be back. I was having some difficulties with it and thought by unsubscribing and subscribing again it might clear it up.

------------------

Comment

I'll be back. I was having some difficulties with it and thought by unsubscribing and subscribing again it might clear it up.

Well hurry up or you'll miss the great stuff I've just uploaded from Dixit Dominus.
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

"Rossini would have become a great composer if his teacher had frequently applied some blows ad posteriora"

"The Bohemians are born musicians. The Italians ought to take them as models. What have they to show for their famous conservatories? behold!, their Idol, Rossini! If Dame Fortune had not given him a pretty talent and amiable melodies by the bushel, what he learned at school would have brought him nothing but potatoes for his big belly."

~ Beethoven ~

Comment

And how true that remains today!

Comment

"Nature is a glorious school for the heart!
                        It is well; I shall be a scholar in this school and bring an eager heart to her instruction. There I shall learn wisdom, the only wisdom that is free from disgust;
                        here I shall learn to know about God and find a foretaste of heaven in His knowledge.
                        Among these occupations my earthly days shall flow peacefully along until I am accepted into that world where I shall no longer be a student, but a knower of wisdom"

~ Beethoven ~

(Copied into his diary 1818, from Sturms - Betrachtungen uber die werke Gottes in der natur.)
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Nature I loved,and next to Nature,Art.
                          Walter Savage Landor
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"When I open my eyes, a sigh involuntarily
                            escapes me, for all that I see runs counter
                            to my religion; perforce I despise the world
                            which does not intuitively feel that music
                            is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"

~ Beethoven ~

(Remarks made to Bettina von Armin, in 1810,
                            concerning Vienna Society).

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited July 18, 2003).]

Comment

"There is no guestion of selection and organization of ideas;following the so called inspired method,he dashes everything down just as the feverish workings of his imagination dictate to him at that moment.But what if it is only your inadequate understanding which fails to grasp the inner coherence of every Beethoven composition?"
                              E T A Hoffmann
                              'Kreisleriana'
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"Those composers are exemplars who unite
                                nature and art in their works"

~ ~ Beethoven ~ ~ Baden 1824

Comment

Working...
                                X