No announcement yet.

Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If one plays good music people don't listen, and if one plays bad music people don't talk."

Ocsar Wilde

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

"The man that hath no music in himself,
      nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
      Is fit for treason, strategems, and spoils.
      The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
      and his affections, dark as Erebus.
      Let no such man be trusted"

~William Shakespeare ~

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited June 06, 2003).]

Comment

Enjoyed the Oscar Wilde quote, one of my favourite authors. Here's another;

"Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is quite useless".

Oscar Wilde from 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

"I occasionally play works by contemporary composers and for two reasons.First to discourage the composer from writing any more and secondly to remind myself how much I appreciate Beethoven."
          Jascha Heifetz
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"A conductor should reconcile himself to the realization that regardless of his approach or temperament the eventual result is the same - the orchestra will hate him."

Oscar Levant (A smattering of ignorance 1940)

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

" An unalterable and unquestioned law of the musical world required that the German text of French operas sung by Swedish artists should be translated into Italian for the clearer understanding of English speaking audiences".
              Edith Wharton
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

To his friend Anton Schindler, about Fidelio:-

"Of all my children, this is the one that cost me the worst birth-pangs and brought me the worst sorrow; and for that reason it is the one most dear to me".

~ Beethoven ~

Comment

"God, who knows my innermost soul, and knows how sacredly I have fulfilled all the duties put upon me as a man by humanity, God and nature will surely some day relieve me from these afflections."
                  - 18 July 1821, to Archduke Rudolph.

Comment

"I like Wagner's music better than anybody's. It is so loud that one can talk the whole time without other people hearing what one says."

Oscar Wilde (Picture of Dorian Gray).

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

"Mr. Wagner has beautiful moments but bad quarters of an hour."
                      - Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868)

"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
                      - Igor Stravinsky (1882-1971)

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds."
                      - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Comment

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws"

~ Charles Baudelaire ~

(I hope Chaszz doesn't read this one!)

Comment

Don't worry Lysander,you can't put Chaszz out regarding Wagner,he is a confirmed Wagnerite and will not be swayed by the many many slings and arrows directed at his hero.
                          Here's one from Frederic Chopin"I don't want anyone to admire my pants in a museum!"
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Franz Schubert in 1822, dedicated to Beethoven his Opus 10, "Variations on a French song" for piano four-hands.

Schubert said of Beethoven;

"With him art has already become a science: He knows what he can know, and his imagination obeys his unfathomable thoughtfulness. So can we all, but we cannot all yet understand it, and a lot of water will yet flow down the Danube, before this becomes a general understanding.
                            No one conceives Beethoven so truly, unless he have a truly great spirit, and be terribly unlucky in love, or simply unlucky in life"

Comment

"Pain sharpens the reason and strengthens the identity"

~ Franz Schubert ~

Comment

Fortissimo at last!

Mahler on seeing Niagara falls!

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X