No announcement yet.

Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I figured that was what he was referring too.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

"In the country I know no lovelier delight than quartet music."
      - To Archduke Rudolph, in a letter addressed to Baden on July 24, 1813.

Comment

Vladimir Illyich Lenin once quoted after
        hearing a Beethoven Sonata that, " One is proud of one's humanity when listening to what a human genius has been able to create"

Of course this seems a bit ironic coming from the Communist ideologue who founded the Russian Communist State, which caused untold suffering of his 5 year plans for industrialization and then handed over to the worst dictator in the world, Joseph Stalin!.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited April 05, 2003).]

Comment

"Few realize what a throne of passion each musical movement is"

~ X ~ Beethoven ~ X ~

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited April 10, 2003).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lysander:
            [B]

~ X ~ Beethoven ~ X ~

Do you know around what year this quote was taken, Lysander? This is truly something Beethoven would have said. So true, his music was very passionate!

Joy

Comment

“This impression is so far overcome by the powerful, fiery spirit which is felt in this colossal work, by the wealth of new ideas and the almost total originality of their treatment, and by the profound knowledge of the principles of art that this symphony will be heard with ever increasing pleasure when a thousand celebrated, fashionable pieces of today have long since gone to their graves”.
              A critique of The Second Symphony

(I believe we just passed an anniversary of the 2nd Symphony's premiere on April 5th).

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                “This impression is so far overcome by the powerful, fiery spirit which is felt in this colossal work, by the wealth of new ideas and the almost total originality of their treatment, and by the profound knowledge of the principles of art that this symphony will be heard with ever increasing pleasure when a thousand celebrated, fashionable pieces of today have long since gone to their graves”.
                A critique of The Second Symphony

(I believe we just passed an anniversary of the 2nd Symphony's premiere on April 5th).

Joy
                Strange and ironic to read this quote, when today the 2nd Symphony seems less a matter of 'total originality' and more a fairly close outgrowth of the classical style of the 1780s and 90s when compared with its mighty successor, the 3rd. I say this is no disrespect to the 2nd which is one of my favorite Beethoven symphonies. It would be interesting to hear what this same reviewer had to say after he heard the 3rd!

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 11, 2003).]
                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                  Strange and ironic to read this quote, when today the 2nd Symphony seems less a matter of 'total originality' and more a fairly close outgrowth of the classical style of the 1780s and 90s when compared with its mighty successor, the 3rd. I say this is no disrespect to the 2nd which is one of my favorite Beethoven symphonies. It would be interesting to hear what this same reviewer had to say after he heard the 3rd!

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 11, 2003).]
                  I found this review in a book I've been reading called "Beethoven's Critics" by Robin Wallace. It has a lot of reviews of Beethoven's great works, The Eroica, The Pastoral Symphony, The 9th. All from The Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung, a weekly magazine published at Leipzig from 1798 to 1848 by the firm of Breitkopf and Hartel.
                  Interesting to read what the critics had to say in Beethoven's day.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                    It would be interesting to hear what this same reviewer had to say after he heard the 3rd!

B]
                    As I was reading "Beethoven's Critics" today I came across what the reviewer had to say about The Third, thought you'd be interested.

“The individuality and rich content of The Eroica would seem to require that we now direct our attention to matters of compositional technique and of mechanical execution, following the composer closely, step by step. The thoroughness with which this work was composed calls for this procedure, if further justification is needed, it may be found in the profit the young composer may derive from such analyses and in the increased pleasure the educated amateur may afterwards derive from listening to it. Perhaps someone may then combine all of this and bring it into focus, if this doesn’t happen, we have at least progressed to the point where one’s feeling about it is no longer vague and doubtful but can lead to a satisfactory judgment. This will gradually become general opinion, thus determining the position of the work of art, its general influence, and fate.”

Comment

As I was reading "Beethoven's Critics" today I came across what the reviewer had to say about The Third, thought you'd be interested.

“The individuality and rich content of The Eroica would seem to require that we now direct our attention to matters of compositional technique and of mechanical execution, following the composer closely, step by step. The thoroughness with which this work was composed calls for this procedure, if further justification is needed, it may be found in the profit the young composer may derive from such analyses and in the increased pleasure the educated amateur may afterwards derive from listening to it. Perhaps someone may then combine all of this and bring it into focus, if this doesn’t happen, we have at least progressed to the point where one’s feeling about it is no longer vague and doubtful but can lead to a satisfactory judgment. This will gradually become general opinion, thus determining the position of the work of art, its general influence, and fate.”
                      Tell me the reviewer's name Joy, so I will be saved the torture of reading anything further from this 'critic'.

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        Tell me the reviewer's name Joy, so I will be saved the torture of reading anything further from this 'critic'.

This is the review from the above mentioned book 'Beethoven's Critics'. You'll be glad to know these reviews were all written in the 1800's so he's long gone!

Joy

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Joy:
                          [b]
                          Originally posted by lysander:

~ X ~ Beethoven ~ X ~

Do you know around what year this quote was taken, Lysander? This is truly something Beethoven would have said. So true, his music was very passionate!

Joy

Sorry Joy,
                          I have not found the date for the above quote yet. I saw it in one of the books that I was looking up on Beethoven, sometimes I even forget which book I looked in. I really should take more note.

Even though Beethoven's masterpieces were composed while he was hard of hearing, he had inside him music that would not be stilled. His music triumphed over suffering. He knows the language of my soul.

Dearest Ludwig
                          ~x~ ~x~ ~x~

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited April 12, 2003).]

Comment

"Persevere, do not only practice your art, but endeavour also to fathom its inner meaning; it deserves this effort.
                            For only art and science can raise men to the level of Gods"

Ludwig van Beethoven
                            ~x~ ~x~

Comment

"Only the flint of man's soul
                              can strike fire in music"

Ludwig van Beethoven

~x~

Comment

This is the review from the above mentioned book 'Beethoven's Critics'. You'll be glad to know these reviews were all written in the 1800's so he's long gone!

Joy
                                Sorry, I should have looked more into the chain. It makes sence though, no editor would allow a reviewer to get away with that kind of writing today!

------------------
                                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                                X