Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrea:
    "Heaven rules over the destiny of men and monsters (literally, human and inhuman beings), and so it will guide me, too, to the better things of life."
    -Sept. 11, 1811, to the poet Elsie von der Recke.

Ever the optimist!

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

"It was not a fortuitous meeting of chordal atoms that made the world. If order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Could you give me any more information about this quote? I find it fascinating in relation to some things I've been reading (regarding the evolutionists and creationists).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Could you give me any more information about this quote? I find it fascinating in relation to some things I've been reading (regarding the evolutionists and creationists).

This is rather a wonderful quote isn't it!

I am afraid I can't help with further information, but I will do a search.

Beethoven did have a copy of - Christian Sturm's -- Reflections on the works of God and Nature.

Sounds like this book might prove an interesting source.

Lysander

Comment

This is rather a wonderful quote isn't it!

I am afraid I can't help with further information, but I will do a search.

Beethoven did have a copy of - Christian Sturm's -- Reflections on the works of God and Nature.

Sounds like this book might prove an interesting source.

Lysander

Thanks! That quote did blow me away--I thought it was very perceptive.

Comment

Christoph Christian Sturm, Born in Augsburg in 1740, Sturm served as Lutheran pastor to St. Peter's Church in Nuremberg, where he died in 1786.
            Sturms Best known works, Reflections on the Works of God in Nature and Providence, was translated into English and French. The entries were arranged in individual reflections for each day of the year. Although primarily intended for younger readers, it also enjoyed popularity with the older genaration.
            The work hit out at the vague morality of the late eighteenth century.
            A heavily marked, annotated German edition was in Beethoven's library.

Some examples of Beethoven's extracts fro Sturm follow;

Now it has pleased Thee to let me feel the heavy hand of Thy Wrath, and to humiliate my proud heart by manifold chastisemets.
            Sickness and misfortune hast Thou sent to bring me to a contemplation of my digressions.
            ------

(As an eager pupil of nature) I shall learn wisdom , the only wisdom that is free from disillutionment; here I shall learn to know God and enjoy a foretaste of heaven in that knowledge.

------

Therefore, calmly will I submit myself to all inconstancy and will place all my trust in thy unchangeable goodness, O God.

------
            Beethoven's Library aslo included Fessler's , Views on Religion and Church Membership.

Comment

“I hope still to bring a few large works into the world, and then, like an old child, to end my earthly career somewhere among good people.”
              Oct. 6, 1802: To Wegeler.

Comment

In Beethoven's copy of Christoph Christian Sturm's , Betrachtungen uber die Werke Gottes, (Reflections on the Works of God) - a book that interpreted morals on rationalist lines, which he constantly read, he underlined the following passages, which I have chosen and think are significant;

"Only this one thing I ask of Thee, O God; cease not to work at my improvement"

"In the state of life to which I have been called I will distribute among my fellow men those benefits that I have received from God. Whithout self-seeking I will give help to all that need it: to this man instruction, to that comfort, also strength and nourishment."

--------------------------------------------

Blessed be Beethoven forever, for indeed
                through his Great Music he truly achieved his mission for mankind, giving us comfort, strength, nourishment and great Joy and Love, until the end, the Great Master of misic spirit had fled from this world of lies into the realm of truth.
                His creative power was not of this world.

Thankyou Ludwig, you have left your mark in my heart and in my soul!

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 27, 2003).]

Comment

In Beethoven's copy of Christoph Christian Sturm's , Betrachtungen uber die Werke Gottes, (Reflections on the Works of God) - a book that interpreted morals on rationalist lines, which he constantly read, he underlined the following passages, which I have chosen and think are significant;

"Only this one thing I ask of Thee, O God; cease not to work at my improvement"

"In the state of life to which I have been called I will distribute among my fellow men those benefits that I have received from God. Whithout self-seeking I will give help to all that need it: to this man instruction, to that comfort, also strength and nourishment."

Very nice quotes. I can see why Beethoven had these underlined and why they interested him.

Joy

Comment

Thankyou Joy,

I thought these quotes were appropriate in remembrance of his life, and my little prayer on the end.

It amazing what information we find, it is endless isn't it.

Comment

Thankyou Joy,

I thought these quotes were appropriate in remembrance of his life, and my little prayer on the end.

It amazing what information we find, it is endless isn't it.
                      It is amazing! I have been reading books on Beethoven for years now and still every now and then find out something that I didn't know before.

Joy

Comment

12 year old Beethoven's first set of three piano sonatas were dedicated to Elector
                        Maximilian Friedrich. Oct. 1783.

Beethoven's dedicatory letter begins;-

"Gracious one!

Since my fourth year, music has become the first of my youthful pursuits.
                        Having become aquainted with this dear muse that called forth pure harmonies in my soul so early on. I grew to love it, and as it often appeared, it grew to love me in turn.

Now I have already reached my eleventh year, and ever since, in hours of blissful solitude, my muse has often whispered to me; try it and write down the harmonies of your soul! . Eleven years ...I thought...and how would the author's role suit me? And what would men of our art say to it?

I was almost shy. Yet, it was the will of my muse....I obeyed and wrote.

And may I now Gracious one! Dare to put my first youthful works at the foot of your throne?
                        And may I hope that you will grant them the encouraging approval of your mild fatherly eye?

Oh, yes! After all, sciences and arts have always found their wise protector, generous father in you, and blossoming talent has always thrived under your gracious fatherly care.
                        Full of encouragement, I dare to approach you with these youthful attempts (at composition). Accept them as a pure gift of childlike reverence and look with favour gracious one! Upon them, and upon their young creator.

Ludwig van Beethoven.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited April 03, 2003).]

Comment

"Some people are worrying me about the sonata being so difficult to play; who can help writing such difficulties."

In 1816 Beethoven wrote to Toabias Haslinger regarding his Opus 101.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                            "Some people are worrying me about the sonata being so difficult to play; who can help writing such difficulties."

In 1816 Beethoven wrote to Toabias Haslinger regarding his Opus 101.

Joy
                            He then went on to write Op.106 as if to prove the point!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

And his Opus 106 was written the very next year(1817)if I'm correct in my dates.
                              Beethoven wrote to Ferdinand Ries in April 1819 "The sonata was written under painful circumstances." What exactly did he mean?

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited April 04, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                                And his Opus 106 was written the very next year(1817)if I'm correct in my dates.
                                Beethoven wrote to Ferdinand Ries in April 1819 "The sonata was written under painful circumstances." What exactly did he mean?

Yes he was working on the Hammerklavier during 1817/1818 - years that were marred by endless litigation over Karl and financial problems which Beethoven refers to in his letter of March 1819 to Ries.

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X