No announcement yet.

Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I have occasionally remarked that the only entirely creditable incident in English history is the sending of one hundred pounds to Beethoven on his deathbed by the London Philharmonic Society; and it is the only one that historians never mention."

George Bernard Shaw (letter to the Times, 20th Dec 1932).

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

In regards to the above quote, Peter, that's quite a strong statement. It sounds as if GB Shaw was a bit miffed. Here's my addition; "for myself I would willingly write gratis for the first artists in Europe, if I were not still the poor Beethoven. If I were in London, what would I not write for the Philharmonic Society? for Beethoven can compose, thank God, though he can do nothing else in this world".
      December 1822, Beethoven wrote to Ries accepting the Philharmonic Society's offer of 50 pds. for a symphony.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited June 03, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        In regards to the above quote, Peter, that's quite a strong statement. It sounds as if GB Shaw was a bit miffed.
        Well GBS was an Irishman, I wouldn't take him too seriously!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

"My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front.If I play Tchaikovsky,I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle."
          Liberace
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

“No wine, no coffee, no spices of any kind. I’ll arrange matters with the cook, you must stick to the diet, you won’t starve on it, you must do some work during the daytime so that you can sleep at night. If you want to recover completely and live a long life, you must live according to nature. You are very liable to inflammatory attacks and have narrowly escaped a severe inflammation of the bowels, the predisposition is still in your body, I can promise you, that if you drink any spirits, you will be lying weak and exhausted on your back in a few hours.”
            From the entries in the conversation books by the doctor whom Beethoven summoned, Braunhofer. 1825.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              And if Beethoven had been a happier man his artistic output would have been the poorer for it for he would have not been forced to look into himself? I am not convinced by this logic, but then I'm not a Romantic. I could easily suggest that if Beethoven had been happier he would have been more confident, and this confidence, not misery, could have spurred him on to even greater artistic heights.

Perhaps the miserable spend more time alone with their thoughts. In many disciplines, the miserable artist expresses joy and humor most poignantly; could be that it is, for the miserable, such a rare bird that it deserves careful and loving attention. It's hogwash to think that only the unhappy are capable of great art, but maybe the happy are just too busy, well, enjoying their happiness to allow things to ruminate too much.

Comment

"Nature should burst if she attempted to produce nothing save Beethovens"

Robert Schumann

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

It is the curse of talent that,although it labours with greater steadiness and perseverance than genius, it does not reach its goal,while genius already on the summit of the ideal,gazes laughingly about.
                  Robert Schumann
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"This is not the first time that Beethoven's friends have taken his clothes during the night and laid down new ones in their place; he has not the least suspicion of what has happened and puts on whatever lies before him with entire unconcern"

~ Jospeh Mayseder ~ 1823

Nanette Streicher who later concerned herself with Beethoven's domestic arrangements, described the deplorable condition of his wardrobe and linen;
                    "He had not only no good coat but not even a whole shirt"

A slight exaggeration perhaps?

Lysander.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited June 05, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by dawnbonfield:
                      It's hogwash to think that only the unhappy are capable of great art, but maybe the happy are just too busy, well, enjoying their happiness to allow things to ruminate too much.
                      Well, Beethoven was a pretty good composer before his deafness became a big issue, or his troubles with Karl etc.!

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

"In music as in painting and even in the written word,which is however the most definite of the arts,there is always an empty space filled in by the imagination of the listener."
                        Charles Baudelaire
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"When I don't like a piece of music, I make a point of listening to it more closely."

Florent Schmitt

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

"One ought every day to listen to a little song read a beautiful poem,see a worthwhile painting,and if possible ,say a few sensible words,"
                            Goethe
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

"I am that which is. I am all that was, that is, and that shall be. No mortal man has ever lifted the veil of me. He is solely of himself, and to this Only One all things owe their existence."

Beethoven found this in Champollion's 'The paintings of Egypt,' where it is set down as as inscription on a temple to the goddess Neith. Beethoven had his copy framed and kept it on his writing desk. Schindler said, "The relic was a great treasure in his eyes".

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by dawnbonfield:
                                ... It's hogwash to think that only the unhappy are capable of great art, but maybe the happy are just too busy, well, enjoying their happiness to allow things to ruminate too much.
                                Happy artists (or at least not known to have been unhappy): Bach, Mozart (a good deal of the time), Handel, Brahms. Titian, Chardin, Rembrandt (before misfortunes), Rubens, Monet, Picasso, Matisse, others. And Shakespeare, from what we know of him.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                                X