Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quotes

I might as well start a new Quotes page being as we're losing pages with the old one, beginning with this one about nature.

“How happy I am to be able to wander among the bushes and herbs, under trees and over rocks; no man can love the country as I love it. Woods, trees and rocks send back the echo that man desires.”

<LvB>
    'Truth and beauty joined'

A letter from 'B' to Franz Wegeler on forgiveness and continuing friendship;-

Oh Wegeler, do not reject it, this hand held out for reconciliation!
    Place yours in mine--Oh God!--but enough!, I shall come to you myself and throw myself in your arms, imploring you to restore my lost friend, and you will give yourself to me, to your penitent, affectionate, never forgetting Beethoven once again.

>>>>>>LVB<<<<<<

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited March 11, 2003).]

Comment

Vienna Aug. 1809.

From a letter to Breitkopf and Hartel.

The sextet for wind unstruments, Opus 71, is among my earlier works, and besides, was written in one night; really one cannot say more than that it was written by an author who did, at least, produce some better works -- yet some persons regard such works as my best.

>>>L.v Beethoven<<<

Comment

"Why do you sell nothing but music? Why did you not long ago follow my well-meant advice? Do get wise, and find your raison.
        Instead of a hundred-weight of paper order genuine unwatered Regensburger, float this much-liked article of trade down the Danube, serve it in measures, half-measures and seidels at cheap prices, throw in at intervals sausages, rolls, radishes, butter
        and cheese, invite the hungry and thirsty with letters an ell long on a sign: 'Musical Beer House,' and you will have so many
        guests at all hours of the day that one will hold the door open for the other and your office will never be empty."

(To Haslinger, the music publisher, when the latter had complained about the indifference of the Viennese to music.)

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

"To call a retired and reposeful little spot my own is my burning desire."

>LvB<

Comment

If anyone was wondering what happened to the other quotes thread, I have archived it, and you can view the whole thread in the "Greatest Hits" archive.

Comment

To Archduke Rudolph, Vienna 1810.

I can see Yr. Imperial Highness wish to try out the effect of my music even on the horses.
              So be it! I will do my best to make sure that the riders, too, turn some skilful somersaults. Well, well, it really makes me laugh to think how your Imperial Highness consider me even on this occasion; for this, assuredly, my whole life long I shall remain,
              your most obliging servant,

>>L.v Beethoven.<<

NB--The desired horse music will reach Yr. Imperial Highness at full Gallop.

Comment

Somewhere Beethoven made some comment about a German being happy if all he had was his beer and sausage. Anyone aware of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                  Somewhere Beethoven made some comment about a German being happy if all he had was his beer and sausage. Anyone aware of that?
                  Here is the quote:

"I believe that so long as the Austrian has his brown beer and sausage he will not revolt."
                  -To Simrock, publisher, in Bonn, August 2, 1794.

Comment

"The world is a King, and, like a King, disires flattery in return for favour; but true art is selfish and perverse---it will not submit to the mould of flattery".

>>Ludwig<<

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                      Here is the quote:

"I believe that so long as the Austrian has his brown beer and sausage he will not revolt."
                      -To Simrock, publisher, in Bonn, August 2, 1794.

Thank you! That should apply to me were it not for the beer (I'm not a beer drinker but I love the sausages!)

Comment

“As regards me, great heavens! My dominion is in the air; the tones whirl like the wind, and often there is a whirl in my soul.”
                        While composing Beethoven frequently thought of an object, although he often laughed at musical delineation and scolded about petty things of the sort.
                        >1815, to Neate, while promenading with him in Baden and talking about the “Pastoral” symphony.<

Comment

"Only the artist, or the free scholar, carries his happiness within him."
                          -Reported by Karl von Bursy as part of a conversation in 1816.

Comment

“Many assert that every minor piece must end in the minor. Nego! On the contrary I find that in the soft scales the major third at the close has a glorious and uncommonly quieting effect. Joy follows sorrow, sunshine-rain. It affects me as if I were looking up to the silvery glistering of the evening star.”
                            From Archduke Rudolph’s book of instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

“Many assert that every minor piece must end in the minor. Nego! On the contrary I find that in the soft scales the major third at the close has a glorious and uncommonly quieting effect. Joy follows sorrow, sunshine-rain. It affects me as if I were looking up to the silvery glistering of the evening star.”

What a great little device the picardy third is!

From Archduke Rudolph’s book of instruction.

Comment

Working...
                              X