Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommendations for Beethoven piano cycle

Beethoven piano sonatas

There are a lot of outstanding performances on individual/ group of sonatas. Who has performed the best complete cycle on cds (with a reasonable price)
    The Annie Fischer 10 cd performance receives high praise but it does not come in a set and it is price at about $17.99 per piece. It is in back order, we may or may not get it

John Lill's 10 cd does not come in a set either, it is price at about $11 a piece and most people don't like him

Jano Jahndo Naxos 10 cd is price at $7.99 a piece. I haven't heard anything good or bad aboput it.

Barenboim 10 cd set on EMI is relatively inexpensive, $66.00 some people love it some don't. What do you think

Richard Goode 10 cd set is at a middle of the ground price of about $90, and some people like it.

[This message has been edited by rach (edited July 13, 2003).]

Canadian pianist Anton Kuerti.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I have Kempf's second cycle and while some of the pieces are well done my overall sentiment is one of great disapointment.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        Canadian pianist Anton Kuerti.
        A bit of nationalistic favouritism here Muriel?!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by rach:
          Beethoven piano sonatas

Jano Jahndo Naxos 10 cd is price at $7.99 a piece. I haven't heard anything good or bad aboput it.

[This message has been edited by rach (edited July 13, 2003).]
          I have Jeno Jando Volume of Bagatelles and German Dances which I like to listen to very much. Also I have the complete set of Piano Sonatas by Bernard Roberts an 11 CD set which is very good in my opinion. I also have a few individual selections by Alfred Brendal also very enjoyable. You probably should listen to a few different selections before making up your mind and buying the complete set, that way you won't be disappointed and will get what you want.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            A bit of nationalistic favouritism here Muriel?!

Have your heard this Viennese born Canadian playing Beethoven's 32 sonatas,I think this is wonderful playing .Give it a try ,maybe you will like it.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I have a cycles by 3 artists, plus some favorite sonatas by others.

Richard Goode's cycle is, by far, my favorite. Strongly recommended.

------------------
              Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche
              Tito

"Without music, life would be a mistake", Nietzsche

Comment

I have both of the Brendel cycles, the early 1960's on Vox and the late 1990's on Philips, they are not only commendable in their execution and feeling, but present an interesting snapshot of the growth of the artist that is hard to duplicate. On the one hand, youthful passion and virtuosity, on the other the maturity of years of performance. I also have many sonatas by Kempff (but not a whole cycle) and I am on the record here already as being a big fan of his style, particularly in this material. If you don't purchase one of the available sets by him, you should at least get the DG Original of his Op 13, 27#2, 53, and 57. At $10 US it is a bargain, even with the minor sound problems. I am personally looking for a set performed on fortepiano, and have heard a few selections but not enough to make me drop $100 or so. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
                Regards,
                Gurn
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My suggestions can be found on this site
                  www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rec.html

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    I am personally looking for a set performed on fortepiano, and have heard a few selections but not enough to make me drop $100 or so. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    There is currently no complete set on authentic instruments available that I can recommend. If you can by chance find the now deleted set by Paul Badura-Skoda on Astree records, this is worth buying. You will be hearing a lot from this set on the authentic music page.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      There is currently no complete set on authentic instruments available that I can recommend. If you can by chance find the now deleted set by Paul Badura-Skoda on Astree records, this is worth buying. You will be hearing a lot from this set on the authentic music page.

Rod,
                      Yes, you mentioned that set to me a few months ago and I have been attempting unsuccessfully to acquire it ever since. Perhaps a used version will come available on EBAY or something.
                      Thanks,
                      Gurn
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have both of the Brendel cycles, the early 1960's on Vox and the late 1990's on Philips, they are not only commendable in their execution and feeling, but present an interesting snapshot of the growth of the artist that is hard to duplicate. On the one hand, youthful passion and virtuosity, on the other the maturity of years of performance. I also have many sonatas by Kempff (but not a whole cycle) and I am on the record here already as being a big fan of his style, particularly in this material. If you don't purchase one of the available sets by him, you should at least get the DG Original of his Op 13, 27#2, 53, and 57. At $10 US it is a bargain, even with the minor sound problems. I am personally looking for a set performed on fortepiano, and have heard a few selections but not enough to make me drop $100 or so. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
                        Regards,
                        Gurn

I have the earlier on vinyl. Which do you think is better, the earlier or later?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I have the earlier on vinyl. Which do you think is better, the earlier or later?
                          That's a tough one. My own preference is the early one, simply because I think that the youthful abandon displayed by a young virtuoso is more suited to Beethoven than the polished craftmanship of an aging veteran, I really like passion in music. But that is not to ignore the quality and beautifully precise playing of the second set. Just my personal opinion.
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

That's a tough one. My own preference is the early one, simply because I think that the youthful abandon displayed by a young virtuoso is more suited to Beethoven than the polished craftmanship of an aging veteran, I really like passion in music. But that is not to ignore the quality and beautifully precise playing of the second set. Just my personal opinion.
                            Regards,
                            Gurn

That may be the very reason I dislike the later cycle by Kempf. Anyone familiar with his earlier? Thanks!

Comment

Regards,
                              Gurn
                              It seems that vols. 1,2,3,4,5,7 & 9, of the Badura-Skoda (Astree) set are available at Amazon-France. See:
                              http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/sea...314462-8424225

Al

Cocchini

Comment

Working...
                              X